Hours per week
100 meters north of the plaza, Casa del Sol, office #9
Abriendo Mentes is a non-profit organization empowering communities through education in Guanacaste, Costa Rica. To learn more, visit www.abriendomentes.org.
The Community Development intern is an important team member at Abriendo Mentes. The Community Development intern's primary responsibilities include special project management, Monitoring and Evaluation, Community relations, assistance with special events and fundraisers, and general administrative and programmatic support to the Executive Director and Site Directors. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and assists the Site Directors with the management of AM operations as needed.
Special Project Management
- Help to manage programming for local women, especially related to health and fitness, including our zumba program and monthly women's meetings
- Other special projects depending on the skill set of intern
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Assist Site Directors with the collection of data from other team leaders each month and update and maintain excel spreadsheet with organizational metrics
- Perform program analysis and evaluation as directed by the Executive Director.
- Assist with the planning and coordination of AM programs, community events, etc.
- Attend all AM committee meetings; maintain close communications with other AM interns and volunteer
- Continue to develop existing programs and create the structure for new programs as directed by the Site Directors or Executive Director
- Assist with other projects related to development and/or communications as well as other programming needs as necessary
- Assist the Site Directors with any needs related to the recruitment, training or supervision of volunteers or interns
Special Events and Fundraisers
- Assist the Executive Director with the planning, marketing, and execution of fundraisers and special events
General Program assistance
- The ideal candidate will be a very flexible individual who is able to serve the organization in a variety of capacities and is comfortable volunteering in all programs of AM, including but not limited to: English classes, computer classes, special events, field trips, fundraisers, ad hoc administrative projects, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Preferred degrees include: International Studies, Communications, Human Resources, Non-Profit Management, Social Work, or related fields.
- Experience living and working in a cross-cultural setting, preferably in Latin America or in a rural area.
- Experience working with a non-profit preferred.
- 4-6 month commitment; preference will be given to candidates who are available to make a commitment for 6 months+.
- Fluent English: required.
- Intermediate Spanish: required; preference will be given to applicants with an advanced or fluent level of Spanish
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Personable and approachable
- Strong work ethic
- Positive attitude
- Strong motivator
- Excellent communications (both oral and written)
- Good judge of character
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Detail oriented
- Highly organized
- Ability to multi-task
- Living and working in a rural, isolated town
- Working with another culture and language
- Interacting with a wide range of people both in person and through social media: AM staff and volunteers, community members, donors, etc.
Executive Director and Site Directors
Playa Potrero or Brasilito, Guanacaste, Costa Rica.
We are recruiting interns to join us in 2019. Start date is flexible. Candidates must be able to commit to at least 3 months. Preference will be given to those who can commit to 6 months or longer. Please note your available start date when submitting resume and cover letter.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Abriendo Mentes Executive Director, Rachael Sine, at Rachael@abriendomentes.org.
*Please note, this is a non-paid internship position. Abriendo Mentes is not able to provide a stipend at this time.