Hours per week
Summer 2018 for 10-20 hours per week.
935 W. Chestnut Street
Share Our Spare is an innovative organization committed to breaking generational poverty in Chicago. We recognize that low income families face a myriad of challenge that include lack of job opportunities, insufficient housing solutions and food insecurity. In order to tackle some of these larger issues for their family, parents need the essentials…diapers, wipes, clothing, strollers, etc. for their children. Not being able to provide these basics has a systemic effect, a mother’s mental health suffers, children are neglected and cycle of poverty is exacerbated.
Share Our Spare changes the trajectory of a baby’s life by providing families with the essentials. We turn everyday donations into the extraordinary by serving as a connection point between corporations and individuals who have extras to share and families in need. With a distribution network of more than 30 social service agencies, we are supporting social workers across Lake, Cook and DuPage counties and providing items to more than to 6,000+ children annually.
Share Our Spare (SOS) seeks a highly-motivated, versatile and socially conscious Operations Intern to join our team for the summer of 2018 (with the opportunity to stay beyond). In this role, the Operations Intern will work alongside our Engagement Coordinator in support of Share Our Spare’s volunteer and agency partnership programs. This role is ideal for a young professional interested in learning more about operations in a non-profit environment as well as gaining experience working to eliminate poverty.
Volunteer and Donor Engagement:
- Assist the Engagement Coordinator with staffing volunteer events at the Sharehouse
- Oversee donation drop off hours at the Sharehouse and build relationships with donors
- Manage the donor database, including in-kind donations, acknowledgement letters, new contacts, duplicate scans, etc.
- Research new volunteer and donor partnership opportunities
- Assist in keeping the Sharehouse organized and stocked with materials
- Receive donations and input inventory numbers into the database
- Staff agency shopping days, including scheduling shopping times, pulling items requested and managing Sharehouse inventory
- Manage partner agency compliance, including tracking forms, uploading forms to our online database, etc.
- Input agency impact receipt data after each shopping day
- Support ongoing fundraising efforts by staffing events, assisting Executive Director with related tasks and researching potential new funding streams.
- Other ad hoc tasks and projects that will allow for learning and contribution to the overall organization.
- Passion and commitment to Share Our Spare and our mission.
- Undergraduate or Graduate status at an accredited University
- Clear written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google programs (e.g. Drive, Docs, Sheets, Word, and Excel);
- Social media experience is encouraged
- Managing donor databases a plus (not required)
- Ability to work and manage projects collaboratively as well as independently
- Proven record of consistently and effectively taking initiative and being flexible
- Strong organization skills, both in terms of time management and in detail-oriented work
- Ability and willingness to work some nights and weekends occasionally
Unpaid. Candidates are encouraged to apply for course credit through their school.
Share Our Spare is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, and evaluate all candidates based on merit; we strongly encourage and seek qualified applications from underrepresented groups.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a letter of interest and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.