BRONX COUNCIL ON THE ARTS
A pioneering advocate for cultural equity, the Bronx Council on the Arts (BCA) nurtures the development of a diverse array of artists and arts organizations, building strong cultural connections in and beyond The Bronx. BCA serves a constituency of some 1.4 million residents, 1,000+ artists and 250 arts and community-based organizations with cultural services and arts programs, including grants, workshops, arts advocacy, and cutting-edge exhibitions.
The Longwood Arts Project is the contemporary visual arts program of the Bronx Council on the Arts, with the mission to support artists and their work, especially emerging artists from underrepresented groups, such as people of color, LGBTQ and women. The Longwood Art Gallery @ Hostos presents solo and group exhibitions of works of art produced in various media, or through interdisciplinary practices that connect artists, communities, and ideas within and beyond the Bronx.
The art gallery seeks motivated candidates that are interested in working in a creative professional environment and gallery setting. This position aims to give the necessary training and skills to interested candidates that have a strong desire to work in the arts administration field, in particular daily operations and exhibition planning. The ideal candidate must demonstrate an interest in fine (studio) arts, art history, and all forms of interdisciplinary arts, urban and contemporary art issues. Must be enthusiastic and possess excellent communication skills and the ability to work and interact with others, including speaking about the exhibitions in the art gallery, and providing information at the reference desk.
Responsibilities will include:
● Greet daily visitors, and serve as information center for visitors to the gallery
● General office and receptionist duties, filing, faxing, making copies and mailings
● Assist with outreach, research of tasks as assigned related to outreach for upcoming projects
● Working on other projects as assigned
● Scanning and digitizing materials from Longwood Gallery archives
● Punctual, responsible, passionate and interested in contemporary art
● Strong written and verbal skills
● Strong communication and interpersonal skills
● Bilingual (or multilingual) language proficiency (including English) is a plus
● Proficiency in Word, Google Docs, and email
● Self starter and motivated
Bronx Council on the Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). All candidates for internship will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
BCA can offer a prepaid Metrocard for travel to and from the internship .
How To Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates from the Bronx are encouraged to apply