411 Lafayette St., Fl. 3
SAR seeks a detail-oriented Protection Services Intern to assist in SAR’s core activity of helping threatened scholars resume their academic lives in safety. This position requires regular communication with all members of the Protection team and other SAR staff. Internships are unpaid. This internship would be based at the SAR headquarters in New York.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: Scholars at Risk (SAR) is an international network of over 500 of higher education institutions in 39 countries whose mission is to protect threatened scholars, prevent attacks on higher education communities, and promote academic freedom. Scholars at Risk provides temporary sanctuary for threatened intellectuals at network member institutions, helping save lives and courageous voices. Scholars at Risk also helps with counseling, referrals and campaigns for scholars who are imprisoned or otherwise silenced, and conducts training, education and advocacy to promote university values worldwide.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Support review of potentially at-risk individuals who are seeking SAR assistance, specifically by conducting research on human rights and academic freedom concerns in applicants’ home countries and/ or individual allegations of risk
- Draft summary materials about scholars accepted for SAR’s assistance for circulation to partners and member institutions
- Research and update resources provided to SAR scholars and applicants, collecting additional referral resources that may be of use to SAR scholars/applicants regarding legal assistance, language courses, mental health and other identified needs
- Assist with SAR social media outreach
- Update database contacts and records
- Assist protection team with scholar story collection/interviews
- Exceptional writing and editorial skills
- Strong attention to detail, and strong organizational and multi-tasking abilities
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights and/or international education
- Previous research experience highly desirable
- Knowledge of foreign languages highly desirable
How To Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter in a single document to email@example.com with the subject line "Protection Intern [Your last name]." In your cover letter, please indicate whether you are interested in a full- or part-time internship, as well as the days and hours you would be available. Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the internship is filled. Questions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.