Hours per week
1525 Newton Street, NW
@ St. Stephen's Church
POSITION TITLE: Operations Intern
PROGRAM: Words Beats & Life Academy
REPORTS TO: Academy Director
PURPOSE: Words Beats & Life is seeking an energetic and results-oriented Operations Intern to join its intern team for the Fall. The Operations Intern will work with the Academy Director to strengthen and execute the operating practices of the Words Beats & Life Academy. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who enjoys working semi-autonomously to gain experience in the field of non-profit management, youth development and communications. WBL relies on our interns to make substantive contributions to our work. The position will provide the chance to work with a strong diverse staff in an organization that is recognized as a leader in the field of youth development, hip-hop and arts-based education.
About Words Beats & Life, Inc.
Founded in 2002, Words Beats & Life (WBL) transforms individuals and whole communities through the core elements of hip-hop culture. At the heart of all that we do is the belief that hip-hop can serve as the necessary filter between hope and despair for the youth of the District of Columbia. WBL accomplishes its goals through two main program areas—The Words Beats & Life Academy and The Cipher. The Words Beats & Life Academy is a pre-vocational, arts-based youth development program for youth and young adults, ages 5-23 in DC. The Cipher is a growing resource for our ever-expanding network of hip-hop based organizations, which equips organizational leaders with the tools and experiences necessary to build sustainable communities. It is our organization’s larger mission to set a high standard in arts education and presentations for youth and emerging artists.
If you are ready to make change and learn new skills, join WBL’s team as the Operations Intern to help us build out our infrastructure for a long-term, sustainable impact in DC.
The Operations Intern will play a vital role in assessing the various functional aspects of the organization and implement action steps that will optimize WBL’s effectiveness and efficiency. The position will engage in the daily operations of running a non-profit and will be responsible for:
- Leading the development and management of an organizational resource database
- Leading the documentation and development of WBL’s operational goals and benchmarks
- Assisting with the establishment, implementation and management of policies and procedures
- Serving as the go-to person for all day-to-day operational activities and correspondence with staff, contractors, and visitors.
- Planning for and executing all procurement activities for the Academy
- Archiving historical and relevant Academy materials and documents
- Working with management and other WBL interns to ensure a holistic approach to streamlining improvements to WBL’s operations and communication systems
We are looking for candidates who possess the following skills/experiences:
- At minimum has completed either their sophomore or junior year of undergraduate studies. Students earning degrees in Non-Profit management, Business Administration or a related field are encouraged to apply.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite applications
- Propensity to learn and use software applications; basic understanding of database management is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
The ideal candidate for this position is detail-oriented and extremely organized. S/he will be able to demonstrate the following qualities:
- Excellent ability to work proactively and take initiative
- Strong work ethic and sense of responsibilit
- Eagerness to learn and committed to sharing strengths
- Ability to recognize opportunities to strengthen the way the organization operates; generate ideas and create systems to address those needs
- Ability to follow-through on multiple projects/deadlines with minimal oversight
- Creativity, resourcefulness and a sense of humor
Knowledge of hip-hop culture, strong social justice analysis and previous experience in a non-profit setting are all pluses, but are not requirements to apply.
- Travel Stipend
The Operations Intern will gain valuable experiences and skills including:
- An understanding of non-profit management and back-end procedures
- An understanding of budgeting and responsible financial management
- Leadership, communication and project management skills
- We will work with you to approve your experience for any available credit at your educational institution.
- Upon successful completion of your internship, the Academy Director will be happy to provide valuable, personalized recommendations for you in the future.
HOURS & COMMITMENT
- The Words Beats & Life Headquarters @ the St. Stephen's Church
- 1525 Newton St NW Washington DC 20010
- Some visits to external program sites as determined by position responsibilities @ Riverside Center (NE) and MLK Memorial Library (NW)
Time Commitment: Approximately 10-15 hours per week
Times of day: Afternoons, Early Evenings. Some evening shifts as required by program needs
Days of week: Monday – Friday
Schedule: Flexible (For example: 5 hour shifts between 11am-7pm, 3-4 days a week)
Start Date: Winter 2018 (Exact start date is negotiable)
Duration: 3 month period depending on candidate’s availability and start date
How To Apply
E-mail your resume and a short cover letter to Felicia Ramos: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your brief cover letter should tell us why you are interested in working with WBL, why this specific position interests you, and what skills you can bring to the internship.
- The subject of your e-mail should be "Operations Intern".
- No Phone calls please.