Phase I: $1,000 & room/board, Phase II: $10 per hour
Hours per week
40-60 hours per week
Now in its eighth year, Allegheny Mountain Institute’s fully sponsored 18-month Fellowship prepares and empowers individuals to become teachers and ambassadors for a more vibrant and accessible local food system. Selected Fellows spend six months in immersive training on our mountain farm campus (Phase I) and one year in service work with food related non-profit partner organizations (Phase II). AMI is an educational non-profit organization with the mission to cultivate healthy communities through food and education.
Phase I – Farm Study
May 13 – October 30, 2019
- Gain hands-on experience in sustainable fruit and vegetable production, small animal husbandry, beekeeping, homesteading skills and more on our mountain farm in Highland County, VA.
- Study regenerative farming, nutrition and wellness, herbalism, permaculture design, and community development through expert guest instructors, field trips, and educational sessions.
- Explore local food system leadership opportunities through participation with school garden activities, a weekly farmers market, farm stay programming and more.
- Experience living in a deciduous rain forest on the Eastern Continental Divide, reside in handcrafted cabins, and share farm-fresh meals supplemented with whole food staples.
- Phase I Fellows receive $1,000 stipend upon signature and commitment to the Phase II contract. Additional benefits include: room and board, paid time off.
Phase II – Service Application
January 6 - December 18, 2020
- Apply Phase I training and work with AMI and Partner Organizations to help build healthy communities through food and education in Highland and Augusta Counties, Virginia.
- Contribute to projects such as: growing food and increasing food access, developing local food system infrastructure, and creating and teaching site-based garden curriculum.
- Build farming and leadership skills through monthly continuing education opportunities, field trips and workshops.
- Grow through monthly mentorship and support by AMI staff.
- Earn $10 per hour (less payroll taxes, paid bi-weekly). Additional benefits include: Workers’ Compensation coverage, paid time off and health leave.
Phase I Fellows receive $1,000 stipend upon signature and commitment to the Phase II contract.
How To Apply
Applications are due by February 1, 2019 and are available at: www.alleghenymountaininstitute.org. Applications considered on are reviewed when complete.
Allegheny Mountain Institute admits candidates of any race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion or national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to Fellows. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion or national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship programs, and other school-administered programs.