Hours per week
About our organization:
We believe in women empowering themselves through language and technology. Based at the Hopes-Sitti Women’s Center and with the support of Hopes for Women in Education, a nonprofit registered in Canada in Jordan, we coordinate and support online language-exchange sessions between Palestinian refugee women learning English and young women learning Arabic in universities across the U.S., Canada, & Europe. We also provide weekly English classes for women in the camp, taught by expatriate volunteers, and will soon be launching a Pathways to Employment Initiative as well as professional development courses.
About the position:
Banaat Connect is seeking a student intern (either current students or recent graduates) for a position at our Center in Jordan or remotely. The intern will play a critical role in BC’s participant recruitment and development efforts. Commitment of 10-15/week.
This includes building and improving our existing recruitment materials, and planning the recruitment campaign for our upcoming term. If in-country, the intern will have the opportunity to see BC’s work on the ground by assisting at events at our Center.
- Improve and plan recruitment campaigns, including activities such as, but not limited to, reaching out to universities in the U.S., Canada, and Europe, relevant organizations, etc. to spread the word.
- Assist Center Manager with recruitment plan inside the Camp.
- Improve marketing strategies.
- Attend networking events in Amman (if in-country).
- Perform other administrative duties and assisting at events for the organization as needed.
- Identify best practices for recruiting volunteers, and help build our volunteer base.
- Previous experience in development, communications, and/or nonprofit work preferred.
- Must be an excellent and compelling communicator.
- Previous experience in Arabic and the Middle East is ideal but not required.
- High energy self-starter, able to work independently.
- Passion for nonprofit work, especially as it relates to women’s empowerment, education, and refugee aid.
This internship is unpaid, but interns may seek academic credit from their institution. We are flexible on schedule and time commitment to meet interns' needs.
Location is flexible for this position, interns may be based remotely or live in Amman and commute to our location at the Gaza Refugee Camp in Jerash, Jordan.
The position offers the opportunity to work for a not-for-profit based in Amman, Jordan serving female Palestinian refugees in the Gaza Refugee Camp. Intern will gain experience in non-profit development, focusing on grant research and writing, and will work closely with Banaat Connect leadership.