Hours per week
1053 Soda Ridge Road
Expected Hours: 35-40 hours/week for 12-24 weeks
Pay Status: Nonexempt; $12/hour
Start/End Dates: Mid-May, 2018 -- Fall, 2018; Flexible start/end dates.
Reports To: Chef and Assistant Chef
Housing Available: Yes
At Keystone Science School, we believe that the power of inspiring curiosity and critical thinking, through the lens of science, changes lives and strengthens communities. We create future leaders who can problem solve and work together in an ever-evolving world and workplace environment.
The employees of Keystone Science School collectively work for the Mission, and truly live the Vision and Values! Our campus is located at 9,200 feet on the site of Old Keystone Village in Keystone, Colorado. Our historic 23-acre campus serves as the ultimate outdoor laboratory and is the home base for our diverse suite of programs. Our facilities include modern log-style dormitories, a central dining hall, an outdoor amphitheater, a state-of-the-art observatory, and a geothermal field. Visit KeystoneScienceSchool.org to learn more!
Program Overview and Job Summary:
The Keystone Science School Culinary Internship is a developmental opportunity with the goal of mentoring future culinary industry professionals. The internship is based on a two-tiered approach to include a mentoring component and multifaceted hands-on learning components. The selected intern will gain a deeper understanding and experience of basic cooking techniques, preparation of soups, stocks, and sauces, knife skills, familiarity with a variety of ingredients, seasoning and balancing flavors/ingredients, cooking for groups in large quantities, and a focus on cleanliness and sanitation.
The Culinary Intern is responsible for assisting the Chef(s) with food preparation and cleaning responsibilities pertaining to health and safety. The Intern will work closely with the head Chef and Kitchen team in preparing all aspects of clients’ meals and serving “family style.” In addition to food preparation, the Intern is to see that all parts of the kitchen, food service areas, and the Rives Dining Hall, including restrooms, are kept clean by following daily and periodic cleaning lists.
Our ideal candidate will focus on the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Main areas of focus:
- 40% Serve meals (“family-style” meals, sandwich station, outdoor BBQs, etc.);
- 30% Food preparation;
- 20% Kitchen and dish cleaning;
- 10% Cleaning dining room facilities (including restrooms);
- Other duties as assigned.
- Preparation of food;
- Serve meals to clients;
- Preparation and service of beverages to clients;
- Wash and dry all dishes used in preparation and service, and ensure their proper storage;
- Clean all areas of preparation and service;
- Ensure a high level of health and safety, cleanliness, and food hygiene;
- Ensure that safe working practices are followed;
- Adhere to existing working practices, methods, procedures, undertake relevant training and development activities, and respond positively to new and alternative systems;
- Carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities within the overall function, commensurate with the grading and level of responsibilities of the position.
The minimum requirements in knowledge, skills, and abilities for the candidate of our choice:
- Disciplined in thinking that is clear, rational, open-minded, and informed by evidence;
- Strong work ethic and will work until the job is complete;
- Motivation to contribute positively to the KSS at-large community;
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written or oral form;
- Multi-task efficiently while managing a high-volume workload in a fast-paced, changing environment;
- Superior customer service skills with the ability to be creative and think ‘outside the box’;
- Strong command of communication, writing, and organizational skills;
- Effectively interact with people of diverse backgrounds and different levels of experience;
- Ability to work in a busy environment with many distractions.
Our required education, experience, and certifications:
- No food service experience necessary;
- Must be able to successfully pass a comprehensive background check.
No travel is required for this position.
The physical demands of this position:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or hold objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit for extended periods of time, stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Our work environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires the employee to work in close contact with his/her teammates. The office space is small and the employee must have the ability to stay focused while others are working in close proximity. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but varies seasonally due to programs and staffing on campus.
$12/hour, nonexempt wage. 35-40 hours per week. Room and board is available at no cost. The Intern will also receive routine feedback through weekly face to face check-ins and mid-term and end-term reviews. Participation in this intern program does not guarantee an offer of employment at the conclusion of the program.
How To Apply
Ready to find yourself at the heart of Science. Adventure. Fun? Apply now!
Please submit the General Employment Application found at KeystoneScienceSchool.org/Employment. All applications require a cover letter, resume, and 3 references. Application materials will be accepted until all positions are filled. For more information, please contact the Human Resources department at HR@KeystoneScienceSchool.org.
Keystone Science School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.