Hours per week
20 hours per week
About the African Library Project:
The African Library Project (ALP) changes lives book by book by starting libraries in rural Africa. Our grassroots approach mobilizes U.S. volunteers, young and old, to organize book drives and ship books to partner libraries in Africa. Our method makes a concrete and personal difference for children and adults on both continents.
We work with our African partners to create small sustainable libraries in Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Sierra Leone and Swaziland. Our model provides many benefits for the U.S. including greater knowledge of Africa, leadership opportunities for youth, and recycling of books. We have helped develop over 2,500 libraries in 12 African countries and are looking to double the number of libraries we provide annually by 2020.
African Library Project has been awarded a 3-year grant to launch its Youth Engagement Program. To help implement a high-quality youth engagement and leadership program, ALP will hire a part-time Marketing & Administrative Support Intern (20 hrs/week) who will be supervised by the Business & Community Development Manager. This intern will:
● Assist with strategic marketing that targets youth (ages 5-25) in the U.S. and Canada so as to increase their engagement as Book Drive Organizers (BDOs) and ALP Youth Ambassadors
● Help develop brand and marketing materials including web page content, social media campaigns, toolkits, and print materials that attract and target youth – i.e., make it cool
● Co-lead content creation including writing, editing, updating, and using project management tools for social media, website, and email marketing
● Help manage our social media platforms with a goal of enhanced growth and engagement
● Manage database and data entry in CRM
● Track and report on social media, website, email, and Google AdWords analytics
● Assist with research of best youth engagement strategies and help conduct youth focus groups
● Conduct market research to identify new target markets for additional youth BDOs to help achieve ALP’s growth targets
● Help develop & maintain ongoing communications & engagement practices for prospective and registered youth BDOs
● Create engaging support materials for book drive organizers
● Promote positive PR and increase media coverage in geographic areas with good marketing potential or organizations with high likelihood of BDO recruitment (e.g., H.S. service clubs)
● Develop and maintain events calendar
● Assist at community events and youth conferences to raise awareness of ALP and build pipeline of potential BDOs and ALP Youth Ambassadors
● Assist in placing targeted ads in print magazines and digital platforms
● Support with other administrative duties as they arise
Skills & Requirements:
● Strong interest in literacy, education, youth development, and/or development in Africa
● Experience or strong interest in working with non-profit organizations
● Self-starter with exceptional organizational and communication skills
● Strong writing skills
● Can work independently and is a creative problem solver
● Ability to coordinate multiple projects, organize priorities, and manage a flexible schedule
● Ability to work independently and complete tasks with minimal supervision and work collaboratively as a team member
● Ability to offer creative solutions for consideration and the ability to think critically about issues and challenge old ideas
● Experience carrying out marketing campaigns on social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.)
● Experience with Powerpoint, Word, Excel, Google Apps, and other relevant software and platforms
● Experience with graphic design, strongly preferred
● Remote position but applicant must be available to attend regular meetings in rotating locations in the SF Bay Area.
● Prior experience working remotely preferred
● Must be currently enrolled in an accredited undergraduate or graduate program or have a Bachelor’s degree
- Hours: 20 hours per week (Nov - May 2019); We prefer interns who can commit to both semesters.
- Pay: $15/hour
- Location: This is a remote position. Regular team meetings will take place at the Port Workspaces (BART accessible) and remotely via Zoom/Skype teleconference.
- Schedule: Flexible during the school year, Full-time during summer
How To Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position, and three (3) references to:
Robyn Speed – Business & Community Development Manager
Please submit all materials by email: email@example.com by Tuesday November 13, 2018 at 5:00pm PST. No phone calls, please. Applications that do not include a cover letter will not be accepted.
Please note that all selected candidates will need to complete a criminal background clearance and provide proof of current negative TB test.