Hours per week
Nansana Ngabo Stage Nansana Town Council, P O Box 36612 Kampala
Microfinance volunteers Uganda (MFV) is offering people from all over the world the opportunity to serve or work with Ugandan communities; as a part of the small microfinance institution Community Microfinance (CML) or by helping out with some of the many other projects that CML is involved in.
Kalangala islands in Lake Victoria are the biggest collection of islands in Uganda with over 80 different islands. Here, fishing has always been and still remains the livelihood and education has been considered as less important. In addition, public services such as schools are not available in the same extent compared to the mainland. There are therefore many children in the island who are not in school.
Mulabana is a sub county of the main island; Kalangala, and Mulabana primary school is the most important school in the area. The school has only a few classes up to primary five and serves around 120 children.
There are few teachers on the island and the need of the volunteer teachers is high.
Kalangala islands are very beautiful islands with nice beaches and good forests. The environment is relaxing and you will enjoy a truly unique internship experience.
Your internship can include:
- Teach English, Math and Science at the primary school
- Teaching extracurricular activities
- Develop the teaching skills of the other primary school teachers
- Design teaching aids for the school
- Sensitize the community about the need to educate their children
We want your internship to be mutually beneficial and we will tailor the daily work after your knowledge and areas of interest.
Who can apply?
This internship is for teacher students interested in teaching children from pre-school up to year five. You should be able to teach reading, math and science. If you can teach also other subjects, that is highly welcomed.
English is the official language in Uganda and children start studying in that already at a young age. You therefore need to be comfortable with teaching in English but we do not require it to be your mother tongue. It is also necessary for you to be able to adapt to a different culture and a sometimes much simpler life style than you are used to. This internship program will show you the real Uganda and that involves things such as slow or absent internet connection, power outbreaks, cold showers and things taking very much longer time than expected. On the other hand, you will get a unique and memorable experience and new perspectives of life.
Terms and conditions
- The length of the internship and the number of working hours will be adjusted to your needs.
- The internship is unpaid and you are responsible for covering all costs associated with living in and travel to Uganda. MFV will help you arrange accommodation in either a host family or at a guest house and will also assist with visas and other practical aspects.
- After the internship, the school will provide you with a letter of recommendation.
- If the internship is part of your coursework, we will make sure that you fulfill the requirements of your university for getting academic credit.
- You will work on weekdays during normal school hours. However, we encourage you to travel while in Uganda and schedules are flexible.
How To Apply
Apply by send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org where you present yourself and tell us what you are interested in working with.