Volunteer Internship, Foreign Affairs, Publishing Business, Summer 2018
- Internship posted by Council on Foreign Relations
Hours per week
16-21 hours per week
58 East 68th St.
CFR’s volunteer internships give selected volunteer interns the opportunity to receive training in the area of foreign policy; as well as skills training in areas such as writing, research, and program planning.
The Foreign Affairs Publishing Department has a strong focus on marketing the magazine to educators, students, foreign policy associations and other non-profit organizations. Foreign Affairs produces academic resources such as Foreign Affairs Books and Custom Textbooks. These titles are used by professors in International Relations, Foreign Policy, and International Political Economy from universities and colleges in the U.S. and Canada. The internship offers an exciting opportunity to learn about marketing, outreach, and academic publishing at the preeminent journal of international affairs.
CFR volunteer internships are unpaid, require a 16- 21 hour commitment, and are filled on a rolling basis.
The major responsibilities of this position will include (but are not limited to):
- Researching marketing and sales opportunities for the magazine in higher education, including corresponding with educators who use Foreign Affairs in the classroom
- Organizing special mailings of Foreign Affairs for publicity purposes
- Assisting with financial operations of the magazine, researching web usability and marketing strategies
- Assisting in ongoing social media and digital marketing efforts for the brand, develop and report on search engine marketing campaigns
- Undergraduate student with educational concentration in business, marketing, political science, communications, media studies, journalism, or other related field
- Strong interest in the business side of publishing a must. Previous publishing and/or media experience a plus
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Detail oriented and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong communication, writing, and customer service skills