Hours per week
About our organization:
We believe in women empowering themselves through language and technology. Based at the Hopes-Sitti Women’s Center and with the support of Hopes for Women in Education, a nonprofit registered in Canada in Jordan, we coordinate and support online language-exchange sessions between Palestinian refugee women learning English and young women learning Arabic in universities across the U.S., Canada, & Europe. We also provide weekly English classes for women in the camp, taught by expatriate volunteers, and will soon be launching a Pathways to Employment Initiative as well as professional development courses.
About the position:
Banaat Connect is seeking a student intern (either current students or recent graduates) for a position at our Center in Jordan or remotely. The intern will play a critical role in BC’s curriculum development for our English classes, Banaat Connect English and Arabic program materials, and other professional development courses. Commitment of 10-15/week.
This includes researching best practices and materials for each of the respective curriculums, analyzing the effectiveness of the current program materials, and revising them as needed. The intern will also research and meet with other similar organizations to see how we can collaborate in terms of the materials we each use. If in-country, the intern will have the opportunity to see BC’s work on the ground by assisting at events at our Center.
- Improve and plan curriculums for English and Arabic language programming. This includes the Saturday English class materials, the Banaat Connect program materials, and other professional development courses.
- Research relevant best practices (both in content and teaching methods).
- Assist Center Manager with curriculum implementation.
- Research and meet with relevant organizations to pursue partnership opportunities.
- Attend education networking events in Amman (if in-country).
- Perform other administrative duties and assisting at events for the organization as needed.
- Previous experience in education and lesson planning required.
- Previous experience in nonprofit work preferred.
- Previous experience in Arabic and the Middle East highly recommended.
- High energy self-starter, able to work independently.
- Passion for nonprofit work, especially as it relates to women’s empowerment, education, and refugee aid.
This internship is unpaid, but interns may seek academic credit from their institution. We are flexible on schedule and time commitment to meet interns' needs.
Location is flexible for this position, interns may be based remotely or live in Amman and commute to our location at the Gaza Refugee Camp in Jerash, Jordan.
The position offers the opportunity to work for a not-for-profit based in Amman, Jordan serving female Palestinian refugees in the Gaza Refugee Camp. Intern will gain experience in non-profit development, focusing on grant research and writing, and will work closely with Banaat Connect leadership.