Hours per week
20-24 hours/week May through August
District of Columbia
MSI-US is part of a global organization based in London that works to reach the world’s poorest women with contraception and safe abortion in 37 countries around the world. We provide our services in a variety of ways, from static clinics in urban areas to travelling midwives to mobile outreach teams who trek long distances to rural communities. In the United States, MSI-US works with donors to grow support for global reproductive health and fund these programs—an especially pressing task following President Trump’s reinstatement of the Global Gag Rule.
The Communications Intern position will provide the right individual with an opportunity to gain the hands-on skills in social media, writing, website management and communications strategy required by a global NGO. The role will support our Communications and Development Associate in adapting MSI’s messaging to US audiences and producing content about who we are and what we do.
- Create compelling social media content, including text, graphics and video
- Help maintain the digital editorial calendar
- Brainstorm and write client success stories
- Draft stories for the website and MSI-US Medium publication
- Select and edit photos from database for various projects
- Monitor website traffic and digital engagement
- Pursuing or possessing a BA or BS in related field
- Strong non-academic writing skills for a variety of platforms and audiences
- Experience with social media, preferably at an international and/or nonprofit organization
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher
- Proficiency in WordPress a plus, or any other content management system
- Experience using Google Analytics a plus
- Ability to manage deadlines and produce quality content in short periods of time
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite a plus, especially video
- Strong preference for candidates with demonstrated interest in international development, health and/or communications
- Strong support and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission
Salary and benefits: This position will be paid hourly, DC minimum wage.
We highly suggest to check out our website first so you become familiar with our organization and our mission. Please visit us at https://www.mariestopes-us.org/.
How To Apply
Please send a short cover letter outlining why you are a good fit for the position. Attach a current resume and a 1-2 page non-academic writing sample (from a blog or student newspaper, for example). Email applications should be sent to MSI-US@mariestopes.org with SUMMER INTERNSHIP in the subject line. No phone calls please.