Hours per week
24-32 hours per week
District of Columbia
Media Matters for America -- a progressive, Washington, D.C-based, nonprofit research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media -- is seeking Media Monitoring Interns for the Spring.
Interns will provide support to Media Matters' Media Intelligence Department which monitors print, online, and broadcast media for conservative misinformation and is primarily responsible for generating progressive, fact-based rebuttals to inaccurate media narratives on a variety of issues.
Interns will participate in an internship that runs from early January to late May/early June. The Spring Internship Program requires 24-32 hours per week.
The Media Monitoring Intern is responsible for providing day to day support to the Media Intelligence Team and working on both short- and long- term projects.
- The Research Intern will report to the Monitoring Coordinator.
- Provide data collection support to the monitoring teams
- Monitor TV, radio broadcasting, and other news outlets and alert teams to misinformation, and inflammatory comments, or smears
- Summarize and flag emerging misinformation in print and online media
- Aid in long-term research and data projects
- All interested applicants are encouraged to apply; the ideal candidate will be a junior or senior in college, preferably pursuing degree in journalism, politics, public policy, or related field
- Interest in media and understanding of the effects conservative misinformation has on our public debate
- Ability to quickly synthesize information about new topics;
- Understanding of 24-hour news cycle and how to identify elements with viral potential
- Deep knowledge of current political and policy issues
- Strong research and writing skills
- Ability to work both as a part of a team and independently
- Ability to adapt to new technologies and systems quickly and effectively
Media Matters for America provides interns with a stipend of $1,500 per month.
How To Apply
Please apply through our line portal at https://www.mediamatters.org/jobs. No phone calls, please. We can respond only to candidates whom we are contacting for an interview. Schedules will be determined by mutual agreement between the intern and Media Matters at the time of the internship offer.
Media Matters for America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or disability.