Hours per week
Nansana Ngabo Stage Nansana Town Council, P O Box 36612 Kampala
Microfinance volunteers Uganda (MFV) is offering people from all over the world the opportunity to serve or work with Ugandan communities; as a part of the small microfinance institution Community Microfinance (CML) or by helping out with some of the many other projects that CML is involved in.
An internship with CML gives you a unique insight in how microfinance is conducted in practice. Since CML is a small company (currently there are three full time employees) you will take an active part in the daily work. A large share of your time will consist of fieldwork and you will visit many different kinds of small-scale businesses, both in urban areas and remote villages, and interact with the local people. Your tasks can among other things include the following:
- Train micro entrepreneurs in business skills such as simple record keeping, marketing, , business planning and budgeting.
- Help CML in developing new, innovative microcredit products to better serve our clients, such as an agricultural loan specialized for farmers need and a micro-mortgage credit.
- Help out with CMLs work in creating a monitor and evaluation system.
We want your internship with CML to be mutually beneficial and we will tailor the daily work after your knowledge and areas of interest.
Who can apply?
This internship is for students in business and administration or economics. We value skills in for example marketing, accounting, management or experience of running your own business. However, we welcome even first year students. Basic computer skills and some business thinking is enough to provide great value for CML and their clients.
You need to be able to communicate in English which is the official language in Uganda. It is also necessary for you to be able to adapt to a different culture and a sometimes much simpler life style than you are used to. This internship program will show you the real Uganda and that involves things such as slow or absent internet connection, power outbreaks, cold showers and things taking very much longer time than expected. On the other hand, you will get a unique and memorable experience and new perspectives of life.
Terms and conditions
- The length of the internship and the number of working hours will be adjusted to your needs.
- The internship is unpaid and you are responsible for covering all costs associated with living in and travel to Uganda. MFV will help you arrange accommodation in either a host family or at a guest house and will also assist with visas and other practical aspects.
- After the internship, CML will provide you with a letter of recommendation.
- If the internship is part of your coursework, we will make sure that you fulfill the requirements of your university for getting academic credit.
- CML work on weekdays during normal business hours. However, we encourage you to travel while in Uganda and schedules are flexible.