Hours per week
Day One partners with New York City youth to end dating abuse and intimate partner violence through community education, counseling, legal advocacy and youth leadership development. We use an empowerment model that invests young people in maintaining safe relationships for themselves and their peers.
Day One’s Administration Team implements inclusive and equitable practices to ensure financial stability, run efficient operations and creatively improve office culture in order to push forward Day One’s mission.
We are seeking an undergraduate or graduate student to participate in a part-time, unpaid Culture & Operations Internship opportunity during Spring 2019. We are looking for an intern to join the Administration Team starting in January 2019 and ending in May 2019, but have some flexibility around start and end dates and the number of hours per week the intern works.
The intern's primary responsibilities are to support the activities of the Administration Team while learning about human resources administration for a small non-profit organization. This position works under the supervision of the Operations Coordinator, and in partnership with various office committees such as the Employee Sustainability Committee and the Good Times Committee to support office events and cultivate a synergetic office culture at Day One.
- Research new laws and policies, review existing policies and provide regular updates to the A-Team.
- Study the organization’s policies and processes of the organization via the Employee Handbook.
- Propose and implement document management strategies in our cloud-based server to improve access to forms and important information for employees.
- Review all insurance policies and create one page summaries of coverage and renewal information.
- Draft thorough and comprehensive manuals for interns and operations.
- Prepare new hire orientation packets and intern binders.
- File employee paperwork and maintain personnel files.
- Assist with data entry, maintain spreadsheets and scan and file supporting documents.
- Update staff timesheets quarterly.
- Contribute to our monthly internal employee newsletter.
- Take staff meeting minutes.
- Retrieve mail daily from Post Office.
- Support team members in other ways as requested.
- Provide administrative support and complete adhoc projects as assigned.
- Attention to detail, ability to multi-task and excellent communication skills are essential to this position.
- Graphic Design skills a plus but not required
- Willingness to work effectively both independently and on a team.
- Commitment to working with a diverse staff.
- Available two days per week, including one Friday morning a month to attend staff meetings.
- Strong interest in working in a non-profit setting.
Opportunities to attend Day One workshops & trainings, Good Times Committee office events (book club, potlucks, etc.), Annual Intern & Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon, and other professional development opportunities.