Hours per week
37.5 hrs / week
4220 King Street
We need a summer intern. That person could be you. Here’s what we’re looking for: someone who is ready to work a lot. Someone who likes thinking about what makes stories interesting, and how to reorganize them to make them better. You should like collaborating. If you have experience with podcasting, digital audio editing, radio journalism, or geoscience, that’s great too!
About the American Geosciences Institute
The American Geosciences Institute (AGI) is a nonprofit federation of 52 scientific and professional associations that represents more than 260,000 geoscientists. Founded in 1948, AGI provides information services to geoscientists, serves as a voice of shared interests in the profession, plays a major role in strengthening geoscience education, and strives to increase public awareness of the vital role the geosciences play in society's use of resources, resiliency to natural hazards, and interaction with the environment.
AGI is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to serving the geoscience community and addressing the needs of society. AGI headquarters are in Alexandria, Virginia.
Since October 1998, AGI has organized Earth Science Week -- a national and international event to help the public gain a better understanding and appreciation for the Earth sciences and to encourage stewardship of the Earth. This year's Earth Science Week will be held from October 14-20, 2018 and will celebrate the theme "Earth as Inspiration." The coming year's event will emphasize artistic expression as a unique, powerful opportunity for geoscience education and understanding in the 21st century.
You will be an essential part of the AGI Communications team as we launch a new podcast for our member community.
What You’ll Do
- Email total strangers
- Pitch stories
- Book guests
- Facilitate interviews
- Participate in group edits
- Dig up facts
- Help us make the best stories we can
- Promote the podcast on AGI social media
- Some administrative work as needed
What You Have
- A love of collaboration
- An ability to manage multiple projects
- A determination to find the fact, book the guest, or get the answer
- A desire to tell great stories about geoscience and geoscientists
This full-time paid internship will run for 12 weeks and will be based at AGI headquarters in Alexandria, Virginia, and/or a co-working space in downtown Washington, D.C. The intern will receive a $5000 stipend. Start date is flexible.
How To Apply
Send the following as a single PDF attachment to Joseph Lilek at firstname.lastname@example.org with "Podcast Internship" in the subject line.
- Cover letter
- Two short writing samples (Example: Social media or blog post)
- Optional: If you have prior experience in podcasting or radio journalism, please include links to 1-3 audio stories that you have produced for podcast or radio (3 minutes max for each sample; if you would like to share an excerpt of a longer piece, please include the start/end times.
Please submit your application by March 30.