Hours per week
30-35 hours weekly
Calle Mella 43
Yspaniola offers internships to students who are recent graduates or are currently enrolled in a Bachelors or Masters program. The length of these internships vary from 3-12 months.
Yspaniola is looking for highly motivated individuals passionate about education, human rights, childhood development, and community empowerment to work with us. Interns have the opportunity to support our University Scholarship Program, Learning Center, and Preschool education programs while working side-by-side with local staff, assisting in logistics and planning, and learning first-hand about NGO operations.
We encourage and provide resources for interns to improve their Spanish, learn Haitian Creole, and to pursue their own interests, including writing, photography, marketing, fundraising, and more. Yspaniola interns develop personally and professionally as they contribute to daily operations and become fully immersed in the social, political, and economic environments of Batey Libertad and the Dominican Republic.
*Interns are required to pay a fee to cover housing, food, and transportation while in the country. We also ask all interns to fundraise to support Yspaniola's education programs. Yspaniola can provide supporting documentation for school-sponsored funding.*
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor's degree in international development, education, or relevant professional experience
- Proficient in Spanish; fluent or Native speaker ideal
- Demonstrated interest in social justice issues; knowledge of international development and/or Caribbean history & culture preferred
- Belief in Yspaniola vision and values; passion for community and asset-based approaches to education and development
- Effective verbal and written communicator
- High level of cross-cultural sensitivity and excellent interpersonal skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Sense of humor and high level of flexibility
- Creative thinker, able to take initiative on new projects
- Experience working with children a plus
- Familiarity with French or Haitian Creole a plus
Water and basic household necessities covered
Local transportation covered
Haitian Creole classes provided (optional)