Spring 2019 Unpaid Internship - American Red Cross NYC
- Internship posted by American Red Cross Greater New York Region
Hours per week
Part-time, 10 to 15 hours per week, flexible scheduling
520 West 49th Street
A Real-World Experience with Real-World Impact
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors. If you’re a mission-focused undergraduate or graduate college student seeking a meaningful internship experience, then we invite you to apply to our program—a rare opportunity to explore and enrich your future career prospects while serving others.
You must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program at the time of the internship. Our Internship Program may not satisfy requirements for school practicums but can be done for credit.
American Red Cross "Mission Concepts"
Because the American Red Cross Greater New York Region has multiple internship opportunities for the Fall 2018 Cycle we've grouped our internships by "Mission Concepts." A Mission Concept is a work area that will allow you to narrow your interest to make it easier to select your ideal internship.
- Communicate Our Mission - This Mission Concept is for students who are strong public speakers, good writers, and savvy about social media. You want to be part of communicating the Red Cross mission behind-the-scenes, on-camera, in-person and online through media.
- Educate Others and Build Resilient Communities - This Mission Concept is for students who want to be uniquely positioned to be a facilitative leader in the community, supporting efforts to build not only more disaster-resilient communities but also stronger and well-connected communities overall. You may work either behind-the-scenes or in the community to build local resilience.
- Fundraising & Event Planning - This Mission Concept is for students who are natural networkers and enjoy creating effective strategies for engaging donors and planning events. You want to help mobilize the power of donors in support of the Red Cross mission.
- Help During a Crisis - This Mission Concept is for students who are action driven and client focused. You want to be on the front lines delivering services to clients and/or work behind-the-scenes developing plans for effective service delivery. From small house fires to local natural disasters, you want to help where you're needed, so people can have clean water, safe shelter and hot meals when they need them most.
- Strengthen Our Red Cross Workforce - This Mission Concept is for students who are resourceful, interested in team building and want to help create the strategic direction for developing, engaging and retaining a highly effective and satisfied workforce through the utilization of volunteers, interns and employees.
- Support Our Red Cross Teams - This Mission Concept is for students who are reliable, detail-oriented and enjoy working with people, processes, metrics, and data. You want to work behind-the-scenes using your administrative superpowers to help the Red Cross stay organized and keep its services running smoothly and efficiently.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate is a mission-focused undergraduate or graduate college student seeking a meaningful internship experience who has the following qualities:
- Detail Oriented
- Strong Communicator
- Team Builder/Player
- Strategic Thinker
- No-task-is too-small attitude
American Red Cross Greater New York interns are involved in projects critical to the day-to-day work of our non-profit organization, gaining an insider’s perspective on the Red Cross humanitarian mission as well as service delivery at the local and national levels.
What You'll Learn
- Relationship Building
- Organizational Management
- Training and mentoring from subject matter experts
- Volunteer Engagement, Management & Administration
- A deeper awareness of the Humanitarian Mission of the American Red Cross
- Cultivation of Cultural Competence and Inclusion
- Access to subject matter experts in the fields of Nonprofit Management, Nonprofit Fundraising, Emergency Management, Communications, Social Media, Disaster Relief, and much more.
- Access to our exclusive online database of professional development courses
- A collaborative work culture committed to the diversity of our people, programs, and services
- Additional service projects with direct impact in communities within our Greater New York Region