Hours per week
Summer (preferably June - August)
1217-1219 Good Hope Road Southeast
District of Columbia
The Program Intern works alongside the Workforce Development Specialist (WDS) to assist in the operations, programs and development of workforce development at both the Calvary Women’s Services transitional housing program and Skyland Workforce Center. He or she will assist with daily operations and administrative tasks.
This position is designed for 20-30 hours per week (based on availability) during regular operating hours (9-5). Our preference is for the intern to come M-Th morning from 9 am – 12 pm, but we can be flexible based on availability.
· Assist with volunteer scheduling and orienting.
· Communicate with volunteers about getting involved in Calvary’s Workforce Department.
· Serve as a job mentor for Step Up DC participants; assisting with computer operation, editing resumes and cover letters, and application completion.
· Interview and screen participants using program onboarding standards.
· Conduct daily job searches and report on results to WDS.
· Work with program participants to develop skills needed for employment success.
· Assist in building the Step Up DC program and client base at Skyland.
· Support Step Up DC by assisting with data entry and data management.
· Participate in weekly check ins with the WDS and weekly meetings with the Calvary staff.
· Other duties as assigned to provide full support to the WDS and the program team.
Specific Skills Required:
· Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate in a professional manner with Calvary residents, staff, volunteers and donors.
· Ability to manage projects from start to finish and to discern when to check in with a supervisor (versus continuing using own judgement).
· Ability to juggle multiple projects at once and decipher which project takes precedence.
· Confidence to make decisions when needed.
· Creativity and initiative to propose and manage projects that would be helpful for staff or volunteers.
· Must have proven knowledge of today’s workforce, online applications, resume building, and other workforce skills.
· We’re specifically looking for an upper classman in college (or a recent grad) who is extremely organized, detail oriented, a self-starter and a quick learner.
· Calvary Women’s Services employs professionals with expertise in therapy, mental health, women’s health, case management, race and gender issues, health and housing services, nonprofit management, nonprofit development, administration etc. The staff at Calvary are invested in shaping the internship experience so the intern can gain insight and experience from these experts during the time spent on site.
· The WDS will comply with any requirements needed to ensure the internship counts for class credit and can provide an evaluation and/or feedback at the end of the internship.
· Invitations to all of Calvary staff’s fun committee events.
How To Apply
To apply for this position send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please write "Step-Up DC Intern" in the subject line of your e-mail.