Operations Planning Intern (Part-Time) – Fall 2018
- Internship posted by Alliance for Downtown New York, Inc.
Hours per week
10-20 Hours Per Week
The Alliance for Downtown New York manages Lower Manhattan’s Business Improvement District, serving an area roughly from City Hall to the Battery, from the East River to West Street. We provide a host of services, including supplemental sanitation and security, economic development, streetscape and transportation improvements, marketing and enhanced tourist services. The mission of the Alliance for Downtown New York is to provide service, advocacy, research and information to advance Lower Manhattan as a global model of a 21st century Central Business District for businesses, residents and visitors.
The Downtown Alliance is seeking an undergraduate or graduate student intern to work on a variety of planning projects within the Operations Planning department. This position will focus heavily on field work, with the majority of the time spent analyzing areas where public space amenities, such as bike racks, benches, and parklets could be sited within the district. This paid, part-time position will work 10-20 hours per week from late October through December, with the possibility of extension through January.
Responsibilities will include:
- Using ArcGIS to analyze sidewalk widths throughout district and identify areas where sidewalks can accommodate bike racks and/or benches;
- Conducting site visits to see where bike racks, benches, and parklets could be sited;
- Generating a list of locations for potential installation and coordinate with DOT as needed;
- Conducting field surveys on issues relating to streetscape conditions;
- Creating other maps; and
- Working on special projects as needed.
- Currently enrolled in an Undergraduate or Master’s in Urban Planning or related program.
- Strong attention to detail, problem solving skills, and eagerness to do field work.
- Strong GIS skills, specifically proficiency in ArcGIS.
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator and G Suite (Docs and Sheets) and comfort with using Macs.
- Demonstrated interest in physical planning, infrastructure planning, and urban design.
This is a paid internship.
This position is eligible for overtime under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act for any hours worked over 40 in a workweek.
The Alliance for Downtown New York, Inc is an equal opportunity employer.
How To Apply
Interested parties should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by
Wednesday, October 17th. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Only candidates who have
been selected for an interview will be contacted.