Hours per week
Special Olympics Chicago's mission is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community.
Special Olympics Chicago is looking for a Business Development Intern to work on a variety of event and donor-related communications tasks. The intern will work with the fundraising team to help sustain and expand revenue. The intern will assist in planning and implement effective fundraising initiatives and meeting preparation related to corporations and foundations. These activities are to be conducted in coordination with the Fundraising team. This position provides a student with an opportunity to broaden their understanding of the communications field, as well as nonprofit operations, through hands-on experience.
- Attending community events to promote organizational goals and solicit donations.
- Writing and sending event invitations to donors, as well as being responsible for maintaining a relationship with these donors post-event through phone-calls, emails and letters of thanks.
- Providing support to program staff for special projects and initiatives.
- Entering and editing data in corporate database.
- Attending the athletic competitions of our athletes with intellectual disabilities.
- Assisting with general office tasks as necessary.
- Assist with the creation and preparation of communication materials.
- Conduct prospect research and complete donor profiles.
- Assist with annual appeals including drafting letters, compiling prospect lists, and mailings – primarily will work on new grass roots campaign.
- Interacting directly with donors and other staff members.
- Assisting in setting up for and staffing special events.
- Must have completed at least four semesters of college or community college courses.
- Experience with marketing, event management, publication relations or other closely related field(s).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Physical mobility required: must be able to climb stairs, assist in set-up and breakdown at events, stand and/or sit for long periods of time, lift items weighing up to 25 pounds, climb stairs to move equipment and load and unload vehicles
- Extensive computer knowledge with Microsoft operating system and Microsoft applications.
- Ability to commute within Chicago city limits and commit at least 16 hours in our downtown office.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment and collaborate effectively as a team member
- Able to communicate at all levels with internal/external clients by phone, email and in person.
- A positive attitude with good organizational and people skills.
- Able to multi-task.
- Reliable and detail-oriented.
How To Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Subject headline: Spring 2019 Business Development Internship