The Internship Program at the Deegan Children’s Theatre is designed to train the next generation of theatre artists in skills necessary to become successful members of the theatre community as well as foster an appreciation of Community Theatre: theatre for all. We offer practical, hands-on experience tailored to provide a unique, individualized experience. While immersed in the world of Community and Children’s Theatre, our interns gain experience and knowledge on the path to become well-rounded theatre practitioners. Spencer Community Theatre is one of the largest community theatres in Iowa and produces a minimum of six productions every season in addition to offering the region’s largest complement of Children’s Theatre educational programming.
- Assistant Music Director for our Teen Production
- Music Director for our Youth Production
- Work closely with Directing and Education Intern to plan and lead Children’s Theatre camps, classes, and workshops within an established program framework
- Teach skills such as singing for the stage, basics of musical theatre, and other areas based on intern’s training and abilities
- Interns work an average of 45 Hours per week-Internship begins late May 2022 and runs through early August 2022
- Extensive guidance and hands-on experience developing programming to foster their unique skill set
- Cooperation for college credit, pending approval from Intern’s college or university
- Flexible schedule designed to work with your needs to the best of our ability
- An experienced and well qualified mentorship to guide and support Intern’s work
- Great deal of creativity and autonomy to carry out tasks
- $1,750 Stipend as well as $1,000 tax-free housing stipend
- Opportunity to apply for travel cost reimbursement up to $750
- Potential to create and direct a performance opportunity outside of our scheduled programming with students and other community members if desired
- We will entertain suggestions from the artist-we imagine a cabaret style show with individual and group performances. Additionally, Interns often pursue local visual art and individual musical performance opportunities.
- Previous Directing experience
- Music Direction and Music Education experience strongly preferred, ability to play piano strongly preferred
- Experience in lesson planning, education, and child development preferred
- Excellent communication, organizational, and writing skills, strong self-motivational skills
- Excellent time management and creative problem solving skills
Spencer is a rural community in Northwest Iowa, located 1.5 hours from Sioux Falls, 3.5 hours from Minneapolis or 3 hours from Des Moines. In addition to our Community Theatre, we have an arts‐minded community.
- We are looking forward to the opportunities our interns will provide for our program participants and our community. It is our intention this proposal and contract will bring the following outcomes:
- Strengthen individual and collaborative performance skills of program participants
- Expand students and instructors exposure to career expectations in the real world
- Provide insight and information to enhance the student, director, and community performing arts experience
- Promote innovation in our students and directors creative capacity
- Fine arts exposure for the community; attracting new audiences and engaging new participants
Please submit cover letter, resume, and at least two references to with application. For additional information about Spencer Community Theatre, please visit our website or call the theatre at 712-262-7336.