Social Impact: Business Internship in Rome, Italy
- Internship posted by Picture the World, Social Justice Organisation
Hours per week
40 hours per week
Gain Professional Experience in Rome, Italy!
30 December 2018 – 18 January 2019
Are you looking for your passion or know what you want, but are not sure how to pursue it in the professional world? Do you want to build skills and knowledge via international hands-on experience and mentorship customized to meet your needs and goals? Do you want to explore the world and learn first-hand knowledge of developing and implementing programs, performing research, and building capacity?
Inizia Futuro, Picture the World’s internship program in Rome, Italy, provides an incredible experience to help you grow, both personally and professionally. We work with local partners, including NGOs, government entities, and businesses, performing research and developing and implementing programs and interventions for refugees and marginalized Italian populations. While giving you autonomy and freedom to develop skills and implement your ideas, our mentorship assists in teaching, guiding, and developing your ideas for execution. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to work in conjunction with and learn from others in different fields to integratively and holistically approach projects.
Business intern will focus on some or all of the following projects/topics:
- Work on a key project that improves capacity for both NGOs and businesses entering into strategic alliances by identifying: appropriate companies, needs of both entities, how resource exchanges can be applied, how best NGOs can streamline the initiation and development of an alliance with companies
- Work with NGO and/or refugee welcome center staff to learn processes of refugee integration and identify areas for improvement
- Identify innovative methods for increasing successes of economic integration and assist refugees in those areas
- Perform gap assessment to identify areas of improvement
- Develop communication strategies to expand our network and engage with new stakeholders
- Work with vulnerable populations (beneficiaries) on the job application processes
- Identify areas of improvement and skills development needed by beneficiaries
- Develop interventions, tools, and mechanisms to assist refugees and organizations with aligning skills with opportunities and streamlining processes
- Researching potential areas for entrepreneurship
- Additional areas as they develop to meet local needs and intern goals
Applicable fields of study/interest:
- Research and Development
- International Business
- Global Studies
- Integrative Studies
- Community Development
- Any other related field
The cost to participate in the program is $1925.00 USD and includes:
- Housing for the duration of the internship (apartment shared with other program interns)
- Transportation to and from the airport upon arrival to and departure from Rome, Italy
- Orientations, overall guidance, and mentorship for the internship work and any personal development interests
- Ground transportation within the city of Rome, including non-internship related travel
- Access to and work experience with local organizations, government and beneficiaries
- Professional and technical training/education
- Italian language learning opportunities
- Education on Italian history, economy, politics, refugees and their hardships, resources, and processes
- Opportunities to work with previously-collected data from past and current projects, to learn, and to educate
- Gaining experience in leadership, project development, and hands-on work
- Many more opportunities and growth!
You will gain professional skills in many of the following areas:
- public speaking
- data analysis
- human development
- organizational capacity-building
- training & materials
- problem solving
- critical thinking
- global & philanthropic perspectives
- fine detail and large-picture decision-making
- project development & implementation
- integrated and collaborative methodologies
This experience was fashioned specifically for the enhancement of the participants. The interns are the focus of the program, not just integrated into the work we already are performing, and are given much attention for the development and enhancement of their academic and professional skills. The experience of the internship we offer is semi-customized to meet the objectives of each participant individually. We provide appropriate experiences based on education and experience level. We aim to meet each participant where they are at the time they begin the program. From there, we work to enhance their professional and technical skills, provide them with hands-on and pertinent work that enables them to learn and grow. Additionally, we aim to develop each intern in a manner that is nurturing, comfortable, and didactic. As a result, upon completion of the experience, participants have an advantage over competition as far as advanced educational programs and job opportunities, having learned both typical and unique skills that can be an asset and major advantage. Interns are given freedom to make decisions and drive projects, while being mentored by our organizational leadership. As a result, the interns will attain an experience that will assist in opening the doors to their future goals and have unique skill sets that are not learned in an academic setting and are slowly learned in a job setting that is not catered to intern talents and objectives.
In general, we work with partnering organisations that are local NGOs, companies, or government entities working with the marginalized community members. We fill needs and gaps by performing research and offering services and interventions, such as economic empowerment, workshops,resources, manuals, videos, trainings to both the marginalized populations and NGO staff. The scope of the work varies and can range from conducting interviews and compiling data that is then used to develop reports, workshops, and/or proposals addressing areas of concern, such as system improvements. Additionally, the work can include assisting someone from our marginalized population with starting a business via a number of means, such as market research, marketing, mentoring, identifying and assisting with funding, preparing spreadsheets and budgets, etc.
How To Apply
Please submit your CV and a brief cover letter stating the reasons for your interest and your knowledge, experience, and studies that enable you to add value to our program and the communities in Rome, Italy. Applications are considered on a rolling basis.