Hours per week
Zidisha is the first direct person-to-person microlending platform, based on direct communication and transactions between lenders worldwide and borrowers in developing countries.
We have openings for highly personable, trustworthy and detail-oriented interns to use their talents and skills to support and develop our community of borrowers. Interns will be directly involved in facilitating life-changing microcredit opportunities for some of the world's most disadvantaged entrepreneurs.
This is a part-time or full-time "virtual volunteering" position that may be undertaken from any location in the world. Candidates are expected to dedicate a minimum of 10 hours per week to the position, on a flexible schedule which includes consistent availability of at least one hour per day on weekdays to review new loan applications and respond to client support tickets.
Successful candidates will have a passion for advancing opportunities for entrepreneurs in the world's most marginalized communities, a high degree of responsibility and organization, and ability to independently manage ongoing daily communications responsibilities without an in-person supervisor.
As first line of contact with our clients, Country Liaison Interns, more than anyone else, determine the quality of our clients' borrowing experience and the resulting quality of their relationship with Zidisha.
1. Ensure that Zidisha applicants and clients have access to quick, pleasant and useful assistance and support at any time.
- Work with teammates to respond to borrower inquiries within one business day of receipt.
- Respond to inquiries from borrowers in the forum.
2. Help uphold the high standards of our community through reviews of new borrower applications.
- Review and approve new borrower loan profiles within one business day.
- Approve and provide feedback on Volunteer Mentor reviews of their assigned mentees within one business day.
3. Ensure that Zidisha website is kept current with accurate loan disbursement and repayment information.
- Monitor online banking or payment service statement for your assigned country, and post disbursement and repayment transactions to the Zidisha website.
4. Collaborate and develop good relationships with Volunteer Mentors in your country.
- Provide orientation information and activate new Volunteer Mentors.
- Review and approve / send feedback for Volunteer Mentor comments posted in mentees' accounts each business day.
- Review mentee feedback regarding Volunteer Mentor performance.
5. Develop familiarity and a friendly, professional rapport with Zidisha clients.
- Follow the news and conduct basic background reading as needed to gain a familiarity with political, economic and cultural conditions in your assigned countries.
- Monitor comments and business updates posted by borrowers. Select outstanding comments for featuring in our website.
6. As you gain experience, help mentor and coordinate newer staff members.
- Monitor team conversations in Slack, and respond when another volunteer or intern posts a question to which you know the answer.
- Consider serving as a Team Lead for one or more activities in your assigned country or language.
- Propose creative ways to make the experience of Zidisha's clients even better.
- As applicable, execute your proposals to leave a lasting impact on our organization.
- Passion for our mission of advancing economic opportunities for marginalized communities.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- A high degree of dependability and strong time management skills.
- A warm, outgoing and helpful personality.
- Empathy, discretion and mature judgment.
- Skill in working with teams and in maintaining good communication at multiple levels.
How To Apply
Please send a resume and note explaining why you would be a good fit for this position to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.