The Responsible Tourism Program is a crucial part of the organization as it provides the funds for the Microfinance and Education Programs. The Responsible Tourism Intern aids the Responsible Tourism Coordinator in communicating with interested visitors about our programs and tours, managing tour reservations (responding to all tour inquiries, taking tour payments), promoting tours, managing tour financials and assisting with sales of merchandise. You will also work as a tour guide with En Vía and can become part of En Vía's loan collection team (depending on Spanish level). This is a great role to learn about responsible tourism and gain insight into En Vía's programs and daily operations.
We currently have tours on Thursday from 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in 6 communities within the Tlacolula Valley: Santa María Guelacé, San Sebastián Abasolo, San Juan Guelavía, Teotitlán del Valle, San Marcos Tlapazola and San Miguel del Valle.
· Tour booking: manage tourist intake through responding to e-mail and in person inquiries.
· Donor relations: write and send weekly and monthly tour follow up emails.
· Monthly bookkeeping and reporting: update tour financial document, make tour feedback report (Trip Advisor, Facebook, Survey Monkey).
· Promotion: help recruit tour participants through sending e-mail invitations, visiting Spanish school classrooms, hanging posters and fliers.
· Merchandise: assist with sales of merchandise.
· Tour guide: lead tours of 5-12 persons.
· Send tours on Thursday or Saturday.
· Work closely with the Communications Intern to promote tours and engage our audience via social media.
· Help in community meetings: collect loan payments (depending on Spanish level).
· Special projects as assigned.
· Fluent Spanish and English.
· Demonstrate commitment to social change and community development.
· Electronic device (computer).
· College studies or equivalent.
· High flexibility and organization.
· Excellent people skills: outgoing, friendly, warm and professional.
· Ability and passion for building relationships with individuals from different backgrounds.
· Good judgment, strong initiative and ability work independently with minimal supervision.
Preferred Experience (but not required)
· Experience and/or study in international development.
· Experience volunteering.
· Living abroad.
· Weekly commitment: From Monday to Friday 30-35 hours (9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.) in the office.
· One or two tours per week (including some, but not all Saturdays).
· One or two afternoons per week helping in community meetings (depending on Spanish level).
· Minimum 4-6 months (or longer). We prefer long-term volunteers.
· There is no cost to do an internship with our organization.
· This is an unpaid intern position. At this time, En Vía doesn’t provide assistance with housing or living costs, but we can give you recommendations of housing in or around the city.
The Responsible Tourism Program is a crucial part of the organization as it provides the funds for the Microfinance and Education Programs. The Responsible Tourism Intern aids the Responsible Tourism Coordinator in communicating with…