An environmental internship opportunity for environmental science students to work towards protecting and improving the water quality of the Lower Cape Fear River Basin in Wilmington, North Carolina, USA, through environmental education, advocacy and action.
We have internship places for 3 month periods each Summer.
Cape Fear River Watch Cape Fear River Watch is a non profit organisation working towards protecting and improving the water quality of the Lower Cape Fear River Basin in Wilmington, North Carolina, USA, through environmental education, advocacy and action.
We have places for interns to join for 3 month periods to take part in the following projects:
- Greenfield Lake Eco-Tours - interns will be trained to take visitors out on ecotours on the lake, and identify to wetland birds and trees to the visitors on boats.
- Enviroscape Programme - interns will give presentations on cleanups and water quality monitoring alongside environmental leaders in Wilmington.
- Paddle Series - interns will paddle a different stretch of the region's diverse waterways every month. The Cape Fear River watershed is a paddler's paradise with stretches of water for nearly every taste.
- Water Quality Monitoring - interns will carry out water quality monitoring alongside Professors and scientists from the University of North Carolina.
- Rain Garden Education and Maintenance - building and maintenance of the rain garden.
- River Semester - interns can help to design and then conduct a summer programme with students.
- Camp site maintenance - the camp is only accessed by water, interns will have to paddle to the campsite to carry out maintenance if necessary.
- Office renovation and assistance
- River Cleanups - mostly done on canoes and kayaks.
How To Apply
For more details regarding pricing, scheduling and arrangements, please visit the main project page - http://www.workingabroad.com/projects/usa-river-internship
If you are interested in joining this project as an intern, you will need to fill out the online application form (you can also print it out and send it to us by post) – to secure a placement on the project, please complete and submit the form including two references and your deposit of £195. If for some reason, your application is declined, we will reimburse this deposit fully. However for those who are accepted, the full amount needs to be paid two months before departure. Once your place is confirmed, you will receive a pre-departure package with all detailed information on your project, suggested items to bring, details on the work you will be doing etc.