Hours per week
Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition (MBCC) is dedicated to preventing environmental causes of breast cancer through community education, research advocacy, and changes to public policy. Our annual fundraising events and educational outreach allows us to continue to work towards this goal. Our interns will assist with building and promoting special events and projects for the organization and occasionally for MBCC's sister organization, Silent Spring Institute (SSI). This internship involves frequent communication with Cheryl Osimo, Executive Director.
OUTREACH & COMMUNICATIONS INTERNSHIP
The flexibility of this internship is substantial given its work from home nature. Phone and email will be the primary communication tools for assignments. Interns must commit to at least 15 hours per week. Travel is minimal except for on-site assistance required the day before and the day of the events:
· Against the Tide in Hopkinton on June 16, 2018
· Against the Tide in Brewster on August 18, 2018
1. Media & Communication:
· Proofing and distributing press releases and calendar listings to news media outlets including print and online newspaper, radio, and television. This includes finding up-to-date contact information for media.
· Interviewing event participants/supporters and composing feature stories and other articles for media. This may require phone and/or email contact of a sensitive nature, since some contact will be required with those who have been touched by breast cancer. Phone interviews are critical for obtaining information used in press releases and media coverage.
2. Marketing & Outreach:
· Initiating contact with local community businesses and individuals to encourage community sponsorship and individual or team event participation.
· Posting event materials in various locations. This responsibility includes targeting high traffic locations that will increase event participation.
· Assisting with social media event promotion campaigns on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram.
· Database building, management, and maintenance to ensure accurate and thorough records of progress in communications and marketing responsibilities.
Qualifications: College and Graduate students with minimum GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale.
· Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
· Detail-oriented, organized, the ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks simultaneously with competing deadlines.
· Proficiency with Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, and Instagram. Prior experience with social media campaigns is preferred.
· Familiarity with Microsoft Office Word and Excel.
All positions are unpaid but we are willing to work with institutions to offer students academic credit.
How To Apply
How to apply: MBCC is now accepting applicants for all internships to plan and orchestrate our two Against the Tide multi-sport fundraising events. Interns are needed for the following time periods:
· January 2018 through May 2018 (Spring Semester Internship)
· May 2018 through end of August 2018 (Summer Internship)
· January 2018 through August 2018 (Spring/Summer Semester Internship)
· Fall 2018 through January 2019 (Fall Semester Internship)
· Fall 2018 through May 2019 (Academic Year Internship)
Start dates and durations are negotiable.
Please send a cover letter, resume, references, and a writing sample to Cheryl Osimo at email@example.com. Please use “MBCC Outreach & Communications Internship” in the subject line of your email.
To learn more about MBCC and our sister organization, Silent Spring Institute, please visit www.mbcc.org and www.silentspring.org. Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer.