Make a difference in the lives of hundreds of low-income uninsured Arlingtonians by joining a vibrant team of nonprofit professionals who strive for excellence. As an Events Intern, the primary focus of this internship will be the 2019 Arlington Free Clinic Gala, the organization’s largest fundraiser each year. At the end of this internship, you will have gained a comprehensive understanding of key event skills, including event timelines, planning processes, silent auction preparation and community outreach as well as a basic knowledge of Raiser’s Edge software.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has enthusiasm for event planning. The Annual Benefit Gala in October is an important part of AFC’s annual fundraising plan, raising about 25% of the budget each year. You are the “planner” in your group of friends and you like seeing the pieces of a project come together, and you are eager to learn.
- Likes to use both sides of their brain. One moment you may be carefully proofing a spreadsheet, and the next you may be asked for input on a graphic for the website.
- Likes working with people. You will work within a close-knit team and, on occasion, interact with board members and volunteers.
What you’ll do:
- Provide support to the Events Manager in coordinating/planning the Gala, including sponsorship and auction solicitation, communications, venue/vendor-relations, social media, online auctions, and all day-of logistics
- Assist with the Gala online auction, including obtaining donations, tracking donors, organizing packages, and communicating with committee members
- Assist Director of Development and Communications with administrative work
Why you’ll love it:
- You’ll make a difference. Arlington Free Clinic needs plenty of funding – and you’ll be part of the process to make that happen.
- You’ll be a valued part of a team. AFC understands the importance of events both as fundraisers and community builders.
- You’ll learn a ton. In addition to working on a large gala with talented volunteers, you will make significant contributions in other areas (AFC website/printed communications).
- Interest in fundraising/event planning preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Capable of working independently, but also as a team player
- High-energy; likable and personable
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ideally, the Events Intern will work 8 hours per week with a flexible schedule.
- Starting date is flexible, but ideally the position will start in August and end mid November.
- Must be available for extended hours the week of October 21 2019 and available all day October 26 2019.