Paid Events and Communications Internships with Phi Beta Kappa
- Internship posted by Phi Beta Kappa Society
Hours per week
28 hours/week, 12 weeks
1606 New Hampshire Avenue NW
We are excited to share this opportunity for summer employment with The Phi Beta Kappa Society’s national office in Washington, DC. We are looking for two paid interns to support the Society’s communications and events objectives.
Each position offers opportunities to collaborate with multiple departments within a national non-profit society. In addition to day-to-day projects, each intern completes a capstone project of their choosing with guidance from national office staff. The project, which includes a written report and presentation to senior staff, is designed to encourage critical thinking, long term strategy, writing and presentation best practices, and creativity.
There is a strong focus on professional development during the twelve weeks, including regular check-ins on projects, resume and cover letter review, and a Society-wide commitment to providing an educational experience.
We are looking for college students or recent graduates with a passion for the liberal arts and sciences and strong writing abilities. Preference will be given to Phi Beta Kappa members. Applicants are welcome to apply for both positions.
The two positions are:
This intern will work primarily with our National Arts & Sciences Initiative team and Chapters and Associations team to conduct research and develop materials to join the national conversation on advancing the liberal arts and sciences and supporting the Society’s 286 chapters and 50 associations. The intern will have an opportunity to participate in long-term strategic planning as well as the day-to-day responsibilities of running a non-profit with a nationwide reach. Duties will include:
· Researching higher education news stories to feature in the monthly Initiative e-alerts;
· Assisting in the development of communications and social media posts;
· Drafting general correspondence and proofreading documents as needed; and
· Developing copy for Phi Beta Kappa national website;
· Developing copy for regional Phi Beta Kappa association websites and newsletters; and
· Other duties as assigned.
The Events intern will assist in the planning and execution of two major Society events. The first, the Triennial Council, is a conference of approximately 350 chapter and association representatives. The second, Key Connections, is a nationwide event series run in conjunction with our alumni associations and led by the national office. Responsibilities will include:
· Assisting in planning event logistics and schedules;
· Creating event collateral;
· Drafting content for event website and social media;
· Communicating with attendees;
· Developing, conducting, and analyzing post-event surveys; and
· General research and project assistance as needed.
The Society offers a stipend of $5,500 for each position for 12 weeks. Work hours are 9 am – 5 pm Monday - Thursday. These positions cannot be done remotely.
How To Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample (maximum five pages) to Laura Hartnett at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 1, 2018.