Program Intern (Summer 2018)
- Internship posted by Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
$13.50 an hour
Hours per week
3-4 months, depending on term
40 Rector Street
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that provides medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Program Department keeps a pulse on medical and humanitarian challenges around the world, as well as on MSF field programs and support the advocacy unit activities.
Provide support to the Program Department while gaining practical administrative experience and developing research skills. The position will help increase the cohesion of the different units within the Program Department by creating shareable content for stakeholders and compiling internal updates on a regular basis. The intern will also help update our main contact database.
The intern position is ideal for an applicant interested in the mission of Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), and who is also seeking meaningful office experience at an International Non-Governmental Organization.
The Program Intern will support the activities of the Access Campaign, the Humanitarian Diplomacy Team, the e-Health Unit, the Medical Unit, and the Medical and Operational Research Unit/Epicentre. This includes contact management, generating content for the Program Department newsletter, conducting research on humanitarian actors and topics, and assisting in the preparation of information for advocacy and policy strategies.
The Program Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks:
· Help maintain a database of key advocacy and diplomacy contacts (50%)
· Create the content of the Program Department weekly newsletter based on in-person interviews with the different teams and units (25%)
· Conduct research on individuals and organizations involved in humanitarian work (10%)
· Compile operational updates on a weekly basis (5%)
· Draft summaries of humanitarian reports and policies as needed (5%)
· Provide general administrative support (5%)
· Other tasks as assigned
Applicants should have:
· A bachelor’s degree in a field related to the work of MSF (current students encouraged to apply)
· A genuine interest in medical humanitarian aid and the mission of MSF
· Excellent attention to detail, writing, and proofreading ability
· Initiative and confidence to work independently and ask questions in a fast-paced work environment
· A creative and fun personality to successfully engage with the different units of the Program Department and generate interesting content for the internal newsletter
· Preferred knowledge and interest in US politics, congressional processes, international humanitarian actors and the contexts where MSF operates
· Experience using Dynamics a plus
· A working knowledge of MS Word and Excel
Desired Hiring Date
30, April 2018
Employment End Date
24, August 2018
Working Time %
How To Apply
To apply, please send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions without cover letter will not reviewed.
Example: If you are applying to the IT Internship for the Summer 2018 program, then your email Subject line should be: IT Intern - Summer 2018.
If you are applying for more than one internship position, please send an email for each position using the example above.
Note: Preferred document submission format is PDF and Microsoft Word Document.
Please note: International candidates are responsible for securing their US work permits and should detail work status in their cover letter.
Application Deadline: March 23, 2018