Spring 2019 Intern: The United Nations Relief & Works Agency
- Internship posted by The United Nations Relief and Works Agency
Hours per week
35 hours per week
District of Columbia
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) is seeking a qualified intern for Spring 2019 to support the operations of the Washington Representative Office. The position is non-paid, and preference will be given to students who can work 35 hours a week. Approximate dates for the internship are January to April.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The intern will be responsible for assisting with the smooth functioning of the small Washington Representative Office, including:
• Researching and tracking legislation as it relates to UNRWA and other issues in the Middle East.
• Monitoring American media coverage of topics related to UNRWA and the Middle East
• Drafting fact sheets, correspondence, talking points, and other external communications.
• Attending Congressional hearings, briefings and other special events both on the Hill and within the broader NGO community
• Researching general issues related to the intersection between the United States and UNRWA's operation in the Middle East.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE: The United Nations expects the highest standards in its interns, and the selection of interns is highly competitive. Preference will be given to recent graduates or students in their senior year of college or graduate school, with a significant area of study in international relations, political science, or a related field. Students should demonstrate excellent language, research and writing skills. Among the qualifications required include:
• Excellent communication skills in spoken and written English, ability to draft/edit a variety of texts, and the ability to articulate positions in a clear and concise style
• Professional discretion and rigorous respect for confidentiality
• Interest in US foreign policy in the Middle East, the Hill, general knowledge of the Middle East, and research skills are a plus
ABOUT UNRWA: The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) provides education, healthcare, relief, and social services, camp infrastructure and improvement, microfinance, and emergency assistance to Palestinian Refugees in Gaza Jordan, Syria, Lebanon and West Bank (including East Jerusalem) . The population the agency serves had grown from 750,000 when established in 1950 to over 5.3 million today, including more than half a million children. UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states.
HOW TO APPLY: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and one short writing sample by email to email@example.com.
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and one short writing sample by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention this Idealist listing in your email. Only those applicants short-listed for an interview will be contacted.