Hours per week
20 hours per week
About the African Library Project:
The African Library Project (ALP) changes lives book by book by starting libraries in rural Africa. Our grassroots approach mobilizes U.S. volunteers, young and old, to organize book drives and ship books to partner libraries in Africa. Our method makes a concrete and personal difference for children and adults on both continents.
We work with our African partners to create small sustainable libraries in Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Sierra Leone and Swaziland. Our model provides many benefits for the U.S. as well including greater knowledge of Africa, leadership opportunities for youth, and recycling of books. We have helped develop over 2500 libraries in 12 African countries and are looking to double the number of libraries we provide annually by 2020!
The African Library Project has been awarded a 3-year grant to launch its Youth Engagement Program. To help implement a high-quality youth engagement and leadership program, ALP will hire a part-time Youth Outreach Intern (20 hrs/week) who will be supervised by the Business & Community Development Manager. This intern will:
● Assist with strategic outreach to youth (ages 5-25) in the U.S. and Canada so as to increase their engagement as Book Drive Organizers (BDOs) and ALP Youth Ambassadors
● Help develop brand and outreach materials including print materials, toolkits, and promotional items that attract and target youth – i.e., make it cool
● Assist the implementation of the Youth Ambassador Program including helping to train and support youth leaders throughout the 8-month leadership program
● Help develop, track, and strengthen relationships with college consortiums, school districts and youth community service groups
● Help launch, analyze, and manage incentive and referral-based recruitment strategies
● Help manage appreciation and reward programs
● Manage outreach calendar and assist with scheduling and preparation of presentations, meetings, or calls to prospective BDOs or partners.
● Help strengthen outreach processes including design of materials, follow-up, and information-sharing
● Write, edit, and compile impact stories and social media content on youth book drive organizers and youth ambassadors
● Provide on-going support to youth book drive organizers and assist with regular communications
● Assist at community events and youth conferences to raise awareness of ALP and build pipeline of potential BDOs and ALP Youth Ambassadors
● Post outreach event updates on social media
● Assist with research of best youth engagement strategies and help conduct youth focus groups
● Support with other administrative duties as they arise
Skills & Requirements:
● Strong interest in literacy, education, youth engagement, and/or development work in Africa
● Experience or strong interest in working with non-profit organizations
● Self starter with exceptional organizational and communication skills
● People-oriented person who is comfortable speaking in front of diverse audiences
● Can work independently and is a creative problem solver
● Ability to coordinate multiple projects, organize priorities, and manage a flexible schedule
● Ability to work independently and complete tasks with minimal supervision and work collaboratively as a team member
● Ability to offer creative solutions for consideration and the ability to think critically about issues and challenge old ideas
● Experience creating visual and written materials or presentations
● Experience with graphic design, strongly preferred
● Remote position but applicant must be available to attend regular meetings in rotating locations in the SF Bay Area
● Prior experience working remotely preferred
● Must be currently enrolled in an accredited undergraduate or graduate program or have a Bachelor’s degree
● Must have access to a car
● Hours: 20 hours per week (Nov - May 2019); We prefer interns who can commit to both semesters.
● Pay: $15/hour
● Location: This is a remote position. Regular team meetings will take place at Port Workspaces (BART accessible) and remotely via Zoom/Skype teleconference.
● Schedule: Flexible during the school year, Full-time during summer.
How To Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position, and three (3) references to: Robyn Speed - Business & Community Development Manager
Please submit all materials by email: firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday November 13, 2018 at 5:00pm PST. No phone calls, please. Applications that do not include a cover letter will not be accepted.
Please note that all selected candidates will need to complete a criminal background clearance and provide proof of current negative TB test.