Hours per week
Calle Mayta Capac 1325
Rio Seco, El Porvenir
Since 2003, SKIP has been working with disadvantaged families in an impoverished district of the city of Trujillo, Peru. Our holistic programme focuses on the educational, economic, emotional and social development of each child and family. It is our aim to foster the capacity of children and families to be the principal agents of change in their own lives.
The Education Department
There are over 300 children between the ages of four and eighteen years old currently enrolled in the education programme, which makes it the largest department in SKIP. We aim to maintain an exciting, stimulating and engaging learning environment. Our aim is not to replace the local education system, but rather supplement it. Following a curriculum designed especially for the children at SKIP, we provide classes in subjects such as reading comprehension, Maths and Computing.
The primary programme
There are 10 classes in our primary programme. Class sizes average around 15 students. Twice a week, the children have afternoon lessons in Math, English and reading comprehension. Once a week they have an afternoon of Art, Sport and homework help.
SKIP is currently seeking volunteers with fluency in Spanish to join their primary teaching staff. If you don't speak Spanish, you can still help as an English teacher.
Under supervision of the Primary Coordinator, you will be responsible for teaching your own group of children in addition to helping with the homework they receive from their normal school. You will be plan and deliver classes in reading comprehension and Maths, following SKIP´s pre-written curriculum. Depending on the number of volunteers we have at the time, you may be working alongside a classroom assistant.
- Fluent/advanced Spanish
- Passion for working with children
- Minimum six months commitment
- Experience working with children (particularly relevant for volunteers who can only commit for a month).
The benefits of volunteering with us
In return for your invaluable participation in our volunteering programme, SKIP will provide:
- a thorough induction to the organisation, programmes, department and specific role
- structured and relevant training from fully qualified and experienced staff members - you can find bios for all of our permanent team on our website
- mentoring and support in the form of regular supervision and staff meetings as well as informal sessions
- the chance to be a part of a diverse and dedicated team and a welcoming community
- confirmation of volunteer service
Watch our video
If you would like to know more about our project, check out our videos
Or you can read our annual reports