2101 L St., NW
The Advocacy & Policy team at USGBC provides community leaders and policymakers at every level of government with the tools, strategies, and resources they need to inspire action toward a sustainable built environment.
The federal intern will provide valuable assistance to the USBGC Advocacy team by helping to track federal level policies relating to green building and energy-efficient construction, support federal events, attend Congressional hearings and summarize to Advocacy staff, author blogs on developments relevant to USGBC and LEED, and develop materials relating to federal policy and outreach.
The position is an unpaid internship, part or full time. We are currently seeking applicants for the Summer 2018.
The learning objectives of this internship include:
- Understanding the benefits of green building and operations practices
- Developing experience in non-profit workplace and sector
- Enhanced understanding of legislative and regulatory process through tracking and analyzing policy development
- Developing ability to clearly express concepts of sustainability and green building advocacy through research and writing projects, as well as outreach to advocates and stakeholders about advocacy and policy priorities
- Understanding of how USGBC expands the market for LEED and green building at the federal level through policy and advocacy
The intern will receive appropriate guidance and training, and with supervision will take on responsibilities which may include:
- Identifying and tracking bills and policies using data systems
- Support advocacy projects through such tasks as analyzing proposed bills, developing letters or position papers, drafting fact sheets and other collateral, identifying decision makers and stakeholders, and participating in outreach to allies and stakeholders
- Attending Congressional events, hearings, and meetings and preparing meeting summaries
- Writing blogs/articles relevant to assignments
- Assist in teamwide projects and events, such as policymaker and advocate outreach for Greenbuild
- Understanding of the federal legislative process and federal agencies preferred
- Previous work experience in team/office setting preferred
- Experience in governmental affairs or operations preferred
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness and ability to learn new skills and software
- Commitment to USGBC’s mission
Education & training requirements/preferences
- Currently enrolled student or recent graduation from undergraduate or graduate program of study
- Major or specialization in public policy, government, environmental studies, sustainability, building sciences, business, nonprofit management, public health, law, or relevant fields
- Knowledge of LEED Green Building Rating System preferred
How To Apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or fax your resume and a letter of interest.
- Note the title of the position you are applying for.
- Submit files as PDFs or Word documents.
- Fax: 202-315-3949.
- No phone calls, please.