Hours per week
75 Arlington Street
Title: Intern, Nonprofit Effectiveness (Giving Common)
Reports To: Manager, Nonprofit Effectiveness (Giving Common)
FLSA Classification: Nonexempt FTE: Part-time, 15/hrs week
Notes: This is a paid internship. Desired start date is 9/4/2018.
The Nonprofit Effectiveness Intern will work on the Giving Common (www.GivingCommon.org), an Initiative of The Boston Foundation. The Intern will primarily assist with the Initiative’s proposed rebrand, market research analysis, and development and promotion of user tools (i.e. webinars, workshops, e-newsletters, video tutorials, social media content, blogs etc.). As well, the intern will assist with the completion and updating of nonprofit profiles and the financial analysis component of that process (training will be provided). This role will learn a variety of skills, including technical assistance and customer service. The Intern will also gain knowledge about the nonprofit sector while making helpful and responsive connections with nonprofits in the community.
This internship is ideal for someone with a passion for critical and quantitative thinking, storytelling and communications and a keen interest in nonprofit organizations and capacity building.
- Devise and execute creative ways to promote, share the utility and highlight the impact of the Giving Common’s services for funders and nonprofits;
- Develop various FAQ guides, website tutorials, product overviews and trainings to benefit the funder and nonprofit users of GivingCommon.org.;
- Conduct basic analysis of nonprofit financial statements, including communication with nonprofit partners. *Please note, the Intern will receive training on financial analysis and governance, but a comfort with numbers is highly desired;
- Liaise with nonprofit professionals to provide technical assistance, resolve nonprofit inquiries and support nonprofits at various stages of the profile completion, or update, process;
- Provide a high level of customer service to all Giving Common partner questions and concerns;
- Assist in training nonprofit organizations on navigation of the Giving Common portal;
- Participate in and support the broader Nonprofit Effectiveness strategy within the Boston Foundation’s Program department. This may include opportunities like: participation in a grant review team, attending department meetings, attending or volunteering at forums, workshops, webinars etc.;
- Assist with the Initiative’s proposed rebrand, market research analysis, and development and promotion of user tools (i.e. webinars, workshops, e-newsletters, video tutorials, social media content, blogs etc.); and
- Assist with the completion and updating of nonprofit profiles and the financial analysis component of that process (training will be provided).
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
- Currently pursuing a graduate degree in nonprofit management, philanthropy, public administration, or a similar field.
- Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
- Comfortable working as a member of a team as well as independently;
- Quantitative skills and a comfort working with numbers;
- General understanding of nonprofit organizations;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and frequently changing environment;
- Detail-oriented with an ability to manage tasks with multiple components and implement complex activities;
- Strong customer service skills for working with many clients from diverse backgrounds; and
- Comfortable with new media, including online databases and providing or helping others with technology.
- Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
- Ability to sit for long periods of time;
- Ability to use a computer keyboard for extended periods of time; and
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds occasionally.
How To Apply
All applications should be submitted online.
Go to https://www.tbf.org/who-we-are/careers and select Intern, Nonprofit Effectiveness to complete our online application process.
Diversity candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Equal Opportunity Employer.