Hours per week
35/hrs. a week
3501 New York Ave., NE
Friends of the National Arboretum (FONA) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit membership organization
with the mission to preserve and enhance the U.S. National Arboretum (USNA). The
Arboretum is a division of the US Department of Agriculture and FONA is its primary private
partner, providing direct financial support as well as directly managing numerous public programs.
Washington Youth Garden (WYG), a program of FONA, provides unique year-round environmental science and nutrition education programming for youth and families. WYG nurtures curious minds and healthy bodies by connecting youth to food, the land, and each other. WYG manages a one-acre organic demonstration garden on the grounds of the U.S. National Arboretum (USNA), in addition to five active school gardens. Through these outdoor classrooms, WYG offers gardening and nutrition education in four program areas: SPROUT field trips, Green Ambassadors Program, Garden Science (School Partnership Program), and Family Garden Days.
We’re looking for one Communications and Events Intern who can support FONA and WYG through outreach and maintaining our online presence. The Communications and Events Intern will have the opportunity to build donor and membership knowledge alongside our Director of Philanthropy and Membership Coordinator.
- Create blog content for Washington Youth Garden (WYG) and FONA’s website
- Create content for social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram)
- Take photographs and document programs and events
- Reach out to the community, general public and donors for activities and events via listservs, online calendars, etc.
- Assist with special events including the Annual Dinner, Strolling Supper, & WYG events
The Communications and Events Intern will report to our Communications and Events Manager with staff including the Director of Philanthropy and the Membership Coordination.
- Completed or working towards a college degree, preferably in a related field (e.g.,
- Marketing/Communications, or Public Relations)
- Firm grasp of available tools and platforms in the social media space
- Excellent writing, editing, and organizational skills.
- Previous internship or related experience in marketing or communications is a plus
- Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines
How To Apply
Please answer the following question and statements: Why did you apply for this position? Explain your familiarity to the Northeast DC community. Describe your prior experience with social media and events planning.
Include your resume 2-3 references to Crystal Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications and Events Intern” in the subject line. Applications are due on March 30th and will be reviewed the following week.