Hours per week
Up to 15hrs per week
439 International Blvd
Location: Headquartered in OAKLAND, CA
Job Category: Unpaid Internship Opportunity
Reports To: Communications Manager
At Hack the Hood we are providing real-world, hands-on learning opportunities and mentorship to under-resourced youth of color. We facilitate the learning and relationship-building required to chart a course towards 21st century careers in online technology and social media. We engage our participants in the context of their own community to build capital for themselves as well as for the local economy. Our 6-9 week boot camps and year-round membership programs train participants in basic computer skills, web marketing and promotion, search engine optimization (SEO), and website development, which they then use to build mobile-responsive web sites and listings for real small business clients from their own communities.
We are seeking a Communications Intern to helps us shape the stories we tell to the world. You will be a digital storyteller, helping create and deliver Hack the Hood’s content and channel strategy in support of program and fundraising objectives, and creatively engages our audiences across social platforms, web, email, presentations, and more. You will report to and partner with the Communications Manager, and work closely with our growing team. This is a great opportunity to gain experience working in a fast-pace nonprofit, where you’ll attain valuable knowledge in fundraising and youth development, along with marketing and communication skills.
- A commitment to work up to 15 hours per week until December 31, 2018
- Work with the Communications Manager on developing a strategic communications plan to support our year-end fundraising campaign and Spring Bootcamp recruitment
- Updating all Hack the Hood social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Managing communications calendar and related outreach
- Developing written content for social media posts, blog, newsletters, and press releases
- Develop monthly reports of online and social media metrics and use them to improve conversion rates.
Ideal Candidate Qualifications
- Passion for using communications tools as a form of visual storytelling
- Currently enrolled or newly graduated from a college/university studying or with a degree in communications, advertising, marketing or related field.
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented with excellent written, verbal and organizational skills.
- Experience using web-based tools like Google Drive, Facebook, and Twitter
- The ability to take direction easily, complete tasks independently, and work within deadlines
Nice To Have
- Background in design (photography/videography/graphic design)
This is a wonderful opportunity to be part of a committed team doing important, innovative work in Oakland. The position offers growth opportunities, great community engagement and tangible measurements of outcomes and impact.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: Communications Intern Opportunity). Candidate consideration will begin the 9th of November 2018.