Hours per week
14 weeks at 8 hours per week
2101 L St., NW
The Center for Green Schools at the U.S. Green Building Council believes that all students deserve the opportunity to attend schools that sustain the world they live in, enhance their health and well-being, and prepare them for 21st century careers. The Center works with school decision makers, thought leaders, global corporations, and governing bodies to drive progress at the intersection of sustainability, education, public health, and the built environment.
The Schools Research and Public Policy Intern will focus on the production of a written analysis of public policies related to exposure of students to environmental toxins in schools. The intern will also provide support as needed to additional, high-priority team projects in the spring. The position requires entrepreneurship and active teamwork, and successful candidates will be able to work well both independently and in teams.
Public policy analysis
The Center has published a series of short policy papers related to green schools over the past three years—on green cleaning, energy efficiency finance, and school infrastructure funding. The next in this series will reflect the state-level legislation that has been passed to assess and reduce the exposure students have to toxins in the school environment.
· Find and categorize legislation related to the topic in order to determine the appropriate scale of the policy analysis paper.
· Research implications of the located policies, and interview stakeholders who have enacted and who have been impacted by the policies in question.
· Write a well-organized and thorough summary of the policies as a resource for state lawmakers interested in passing similar legislation in their states.
Tools & resources for local advocates
· Assist in development of resources and tools for legislators and community advocates on the local, state, and federal levels.
· Support communications and outreach related to Green Apple Day of Service, which will include a campaign in February and March and wrap-up activities in April.
Center for Green Schools operations
· Assist in managing multiple databases and contacts through platforms including Salesforce and Yellowfin.
· Support communications to new and existing LEED schools and K-12 school USGBC Members through articles, emails, and other outreach campaigns.
Provide support for several high profile events, including but not limited to attendee registration support and follow up, program/material preparation and onsite logistics.
· Green Schools Conference & Expo (May 2018)
· of Education Green Ribbon Schools Award Celebration (timeline TBD)
How To Apply
- Note the title of the position you are applying for.
- Submit files as PDFs or Word documents.
- Fax: 202-315-3949.
- No phone calls, please.