2101 L St., NW
The Advocacy & Policy team at USGBC provides community leaders and policymakers at every level of government with the tools, strategies, and resources they need to inspire action toward a sustainable built environment.
The Green Building Policy Intern will provide valuable assistance to the USBGC Advocacy team by helping to research and track policies relating to green building and energy-efficient construction, support events, summarize policy information to Advocacy staff, author blogs on developments relevant to USGBC and LEED, and develop materials relating to green building policies.
The position is an unpaid internship, part or full time. We are currently seeking applicants for the Summer 2018.
The learning objectives of this internship include:
- Understanding the benefits of green building and operations practices
- Developing experience in non-profit workplace and sector
- Enhanced understanding of legislative and regulatory process through tracking and analyzing policy development
- Developing ability to clearly express concepts of sustainability and green building advocacy through research and writing projects, as well as outreach to advocates and stakeholders about advocacy and policy priorities
- Demonstrate practical experience in structuring research results project data, surveys and/or qualitative data in a format and style that is accessible to a general audience
The intern will receive appropriate guidance and training, and with supervision will take on responsibilities which may include:
- Support the USGBC on-line policy library by checking the accuracy of existing policy data, updating policies, and adding new policies
- Develop materials and resources, such as case studies and briefs, that communicate successful green building policies
- Research new policy approaches and categorize types of green building policies as models for other communities
- Research, identify and analyze global green building policies, including collaboration with international partners and other green building councils
- Assist in teamwide projects and events, such as policymaker and advocate outreach for Greenbuild
- Work or academic experience in research
- Previous work experience in team/office setting preferred
- Experience in governmental affairs or operations preferred
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness and ability to learn new skills and software
- Commitment to USGBC’s mission
Education & training requirements/preferences
- Currently enrolled student or recent graduation from undergraduate or graduate program of study
- Major or specialization in public policy, government, environmental studies, sustainability, building sciences, business, nonprofit management, public health, law, or relevant fields
- Knowledge of LEED Green Building Rating System preferred.
How To Apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or fax your resume and a letter of interest.
- Note the title of the position you are applying for.
- Submit files as PDFs or Word documents.
- Fax: 202-315-3949.
- No phone calls, please.