Hours per week
Minimum of 16 hours per week.
2121 Decatur Place Northwest
District of Columbia
Founded in July 2016, the Asylum Seeker Assistance Project (ASAP) was created to address a longstanding service gap affecting an estimated 25,000 asylum seekers and their families living in the D.C. Metro region. An asylum seeker is a person who applies for refugee status from the safety of the United States. Our mission is to support the safety, stability, and economic security of asylum seekers and their families.
ASAP is seeking a creative, skilled and enthusiastic spring intern to promote ASAP’s social media presence. The Social Media Engagement intern will manage ASAP’s social media accounts and coordinate the production and publication of new content to promote awareness of asylum seekers and their needs. This intern will work closely with ASAP staff to effectively communicate with media and readers. This position is based out of ASAP's office in Washington, D.C. located walking distance from the Dupont Circle metro (red line).
- Spreading ASAP’s message to media, volunteers, supporters, partner agencies, lawmakers, and other stakeholders;
- Maintain, expand, and leverage ASAP’s Twitter and Facebook platforms, as well as ASAP’s presence on other emerging social media platforms;
- Develop day-to-day content to advance ASAP’s programmatic and organizational goals;
- Oversee #HumansofASAP series;
- Work with staff members to produce and publish messages and visuals across digital platforms;
- Closely monitor asylum policy developments in the news;
- Engage supporters and allies in ASAP’s work;
- Help maintain ASAP’s website; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Preference will be given to candidates with prior experience and a background in online communications. The ideal candidate will be familiar with current media platforms and be able to communicate effectively to increase readership and organization visibility. The ideal candidate will have the following characteristics:
- Passion for ASAP’s mission;
- Prior internship experience;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Demonstrated ability to write compelling, clear and accurate content quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to produce original, creative content for social media;
- Highly-motivated and self-directed;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
How To Apply
Please send a resume and and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (please put “ASAP Internship” in the email subject line). Applicants should include and complete the following sentence in their letter of interest: "I am the best person for this internship because..." Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to submit applications as early as possible. No phone calls, please.
This position requires a minimum commitment of 16 hours per week.
Deadline: Dec 1, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.