Hours per week
2 weeks minimum
Santa Barbara de Samaná
SOCIAL MULTIMEDIA JOURNALISM - The perfect project for energetic, creative and outgoing people
Volunteer Placement & Internship Opportunity
Practice and further develop your Social Media skills while experiencing a foreign culture! The purpose of this Social Multimedia project is to promote the foundation's mission which is primarily to raise awareness of the rights of all children in Samaná. You will promote our causes through Social Multimedia which includes content published through local media and social media channels. This program aims to address parenting issues and child welfare through educational videos and social media publication. You will produce short videos, documentaries and radio/television broadcasting content. In the past, our volunteers have produced animated motion pictures, recorded videos, worked on photography, conducted interviews, and updated our social media platforms. Even though project topics are provided, volunteers are encouraged to come up with their own ideas. Part of the work consists of keeping track of the foundation´s work with the children and documenting our program activities (e.g., taking and editing pictures and videos and editing content).
Activities can include but are not limited to:
- Take photographs and/or video documentation and report, interview, write and edit content related to our social programs and foundations activities
- Edit and publish through online social media, the webpage, blog and through local media channels
- Support the day-to-day running of the NGO and attend meetings with authorities and community members
- Use Multimedia content to connect people emotionally to pressing social, gender and environmental causes
- Assist with computer literacy classes and online work skill training for local young adults from disadvantaged communities
- Raise awareness for human and animal rights through artistic, creative and educational Multi-Media content
- Assist with Social Community manager´s role to put together a content schedule for Social Media pages and help with editing and publishing content
- Write blog posts, articles, newsletters and other communication materials which can include a mix of media such as written content, videos, images and podcasts
- Help respond to comments, when appropriate, in order to foster a vibrant community and add value to the user´s experience
- Assist with expanding our online presence improving functionality and SEO for our webpage and social media communication
- Help create, manage and grow the charity´s presence through blogs, Twitter, Facebook and other strategically relevant online properties
- Build solid relationships with interviewee and other participants
- Coordinate with service operators, radio and TV stations for public awareness interventions related to various topics around children rights, education and health
Your Profile: This program is suitable for students with free holiday time, pre-university students, students taking or planning to take any multimedia related studies, marketing or journalism as well as professionals. Some previous experience with social multimedia, a basic understanding of DSLR cameras and familiarity with editing software (including Photoshop, Adobe Premier Pro, Final Cut Pro) as well as social media management and/or social media marketing experience are very helpful. But all that is really necessary are enthusiasm, self-reliance, patience and an open mind. However, volunteers with advanced experience are strongly encouraged to apply. You don't have to speak fluent Spanish; we provide free Spanish classes on a regular basis, full support and 24/7 back up. If you speak English and only little Spanish you can still help a lot. However, conversational Spanish skills will enrich your experience. An ideal volunteer will have a curious personality, and a keen interest in photography, writing, and other forms of creative multimedia, culture and learning new languages. The foundation has a DSLR camera and PC with video and photo editing software installed. We require volunteers to bring their own laptop and encourage them to bring their own equipment to supplement what we are able to provide.
Volunteer placement or internship
You can participate in this program as a volunteer or as an intern. Please inform us of your school or university’s internship requirements in advance so that we can work out your personalized work plan together. Also tell us about your personal expectations and goals and we will see how we can help you achieve them!
A minimum time commitment of 2 weeks is required. You can join this program throughout the whole year.
Samaná and Las Terrenas
Aldeas de Paz is open to working with multimedia volunteers even after they have left the foundation. It is possible for volunteers to continue contributing to the foundation as a virtual volunteer after returning home.
Costs & Benefits
Aldeas de Paz works hard to keep the required financial contribution to an absolute minimum and to offer financial transparency by practicing an open book policy. The calculation of your financial contribution or donation is set up so that the longer you stay the less you give per week. We do this to encourage longer stays, recognizing that longer stays lead to more significant volunteer work and more energy contributed in the form of donated time in place of money! The minimum contribution starts at €125 per week and includes Spanish language classes, double room at one of our fully equipped guesthouse apartments, a special program donation as well as a personal welcome service and pick-up at the airport, transfer to the bus, bus fare and free transfer to your placement location in Las Terrenas or Samana. If you wish a single room upgrade add €35 per week and an all in Host Family home stay upgrade is €125 per week, including a private bedroom and two meals per day. For an independent Bungalow within an gated residence add €65 per week (only available in Las Terrenas)
Spanish language classes - Volunteers or Interns receive up to six free language lessons every week. The classes focus on developing communication skills so that students are able to put their knowledge to practical use as soon as they step outside the classroom. Our teaching method enables students to develop four basic skills: listening comprehension, speaking, reading and writing. The idea is to learn Spanish in a natural and spontaneous way, just as students have learned their mother tongue. Our students speak Spanish right from the very first day, using it in typical real-life situations: the basic syllabus is supplemented by special exercises, such as role-play, situational dialogues and work projects. Outside the classroom, the learning process continues as you immerse in the Spanish language and the Dominican culture.
Contact Person: Manfred Mönnighoff; Project/charity name: Fundación Aldeas de Paz;
Address: Samana, Dominican Republic, Tel: +1 829 7055 123;
HIGHLIGHTS: There are unlimited activities and sights to visit in your spare time. Visit the north coast for some of the best windsurfing or kiteboarding found in the world, go whale watching, try fun hiking, biking or even white-water rafting for those adrenaline seekers! You may also like to visit Caribbean's highest peak, Pico Duarte, or the Playa Rincon, said to be one of the best beaches in the world. Hunt around the quaint town of Monte Cristo for some great finds including bargain priced jewelry made from handcrafted beads, and try some of the local rum in one of the colorful bars!