Prevailing minimum wage
Hours per week
Since 1877, The Fresh Air Fund has unlocked the limitless potential of 1.8 million New York City children from low-income communities. Each year, thousands of children enjoy outdoor summer adventures through visits with volunteer host families along the East Coast and in Southern Canada, and at The Fund’s five overnight camps in Fishkill, NY. Fresh Air children also participate in year-round leadership and educational programs.
The Fresh Air Fund is recruiting Social Work Interns for our Support Services Team.
This internship starts at a minimum of 20 hours per week and may include evenings and weekends. Internships are scheduled to begin in Fall 2018 and end in mid-May 2019. Extensions through August may be possible, depending on performance and departmental need.
Social Work Interns work directly with the Support Services Coordinator to support families who may have children with special needs or special circumstances. They help with all aspects of the application processes including communicating with and assisting NYC parents to complete child applications. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Review applications for children who may have special needs or special circumstances
- Communicate with parent/guardian and outreach partners regarding the application process
- Assist parents to complete applications by contacting teachers or service providers
- Interview prospective children for the programs
- Work collaboratively with the Community Outreach Department on a variety of tasks
- Other duties as assigned
2. Research and develop relationships with NYC foster care agencies and homeless shelters
- Train agency partners on child application review process
- Conduct presentations regarding summer programs
- Strong organizational skills
- Detail oriented
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfort speaking with families and professionals alike
- Patient and friendly with a high degree of professionalism
- Pursuing a degree in Social Work (BSW, MSW) or related fields (i.e. Psychology)
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to work quickly and accurately
- Bilingual and fluency in languages other than English a plus (e.g. Spanish and Mandarin)
Employment Period: Through mid-May 2019
Hours per Week: Average 15 hours per week
Compensation: Prevailing minimum wage
Internships may also be completed for school credit.
To Apply: Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Social Work Intern in the subject line. No calls please
The Fresh Air Fund is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in its work and on its staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.
How To Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Social Work Intern in the subject line. No calls please