Hours per week
207 W. 25th St., 11th Floor
Democracy Now! Internships are paid, 20 hour per week, temporary work placements to help students, people early in their careers and career changers to gain entry-level skills and experience in the fields of outreach, social media, education, fundraising, translation, archiving and IT in a non-profit setting. All internships take place at our Manhattan studio where we produce our daily TV and radio news hour.
Democracy Now! staff provide one-on-one mentorship and supervision to help Interns maximize their educational experience. Where possible, Democracy Now! will provide assistance to Interns requesting academic or work-study credit.
Applicants must have completed a high school diploma, GED or equivalent, and must have a valid U.S. work authorization.
Development & Outreach Internship
Democracy Now!’s Development and Outreach Intern supports the day-to-day operations, long-range planning and ongoing efficiency of the Development (fundraising) and Outreach Department. The Development and Outreach Department is responsible for planning and implementing the fundraising goals of Democracy Now! The department is also charged with promoting Democracy Now! to as wide an audience as possible. Interns will work with volunteers, donors, viewers and listeners, as well as with Democracy Now! staff and managers.
- Enter data and maintain donor relationship information in donation database
- Process contributions including checks and online recurring donations
- Fulfill donor thank you gift requests
- Represent Democracy Now! at local events including evenings and weekends
- Plan and coordinate volunteer initiatives and special projects
- Assist in maintaining an inviting office atmosphere for staff, crew & studio visitors
- Engage with Democracy Now! audience members and donors via telephone
- Other duties as assigned.
- Volunteer coordination and supervision
- Data entry and donor database management
- Donor relations and fulfillment operations
- Knowledge of Democracy Now! and commitment to its mission
- Authorization to work in the U.S.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Strong writing and organizational skills
- Familiarity with MS Word and Excel a plus
- Attention to detail and strong customer service skills a plus.
How To Apply
- Send a one-page resume, a cover letter and two work or academic references to development-intern [at] democracynow [dot] org with "Development & Outreach Intern" as the subject line. In your cover letter, please address these questions:
- 1. How did you discover Democracy Now!?
- 2. What are your goals in seeking out this internship?
- 3. What makes you a good candidate for this internship?
Due to the volume of applications received, you will only be contacted if you are selected for an interview. Please note you may only apply for one Democracy Now! internship at a time. No mail submissions or phone calls please.
Democracy Now! is an equal-opportunity employer.