Hours per week
3333 K Street, NW, 3rd Floor
Position: Institutional Advancement Intern (Spring 2019)
Location: 3333 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20007
Employment Status: Temporary/Part-Time
Overview: The Legal Services Corporation (LSC) is the country’s single largest funder of civil legal aid for low-income Americans. Established in 1974, LSC operates as an independent 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation that promotes equal access to justice and provides grants for high-quality civil legal assistance. LSC currently funds 133 independent, nonprofit legal aid organizations with nearly 800 offices throughout the nation.
The primary objectives of the internship are for the intern to:
• Increase proficiency in specific fundraising disciplines; such as finance management, grant research, marketing, and event coordination.
• Observe and participate in fundraising operations and decision-making.
The intern's hours will be up to 20 hours per week. The internship will run from January to May 2019.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The intern's principal duties and responsibilities include:
1. Draft background memos on prospective donors;
2. Prepare and send acknowledgement letters and maintain records of LSC donations in Excel and Salesforce;
3. Research and prepare summaries of new foundations;
4. Research project proposals;
5. Manage current projects and compile research for current privately-funded projects;
6. Support the development of LSC’s Leaders Council via research, logistics, and planning;
7. Help cultivate sponsorships for LSC events;
8. Research event venues and caterers;
9. Maintain guest and speaker lists;
10. Work with key high-profile individuals in preparation for events, and when necessary, staff major fundraising events; and
11. Perform general administrative functions.
LSC is accepting applications from students currently enrolled in college. The ideal applicant will be dependable, self-motivated, professional, hard-working, disciplined, and demonstrate integrity. He or she will have excellent research and analytical skills, have excellent oral and written communication skills, be attentive to details and organized, and able to work both independently and on a team. He or she also will exercise good judgment and be an effective problem-solver, intellectually curious, and committed to LSC's mission to promote equal access to justice.
A high degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required. SalesForce background encouraged.
This internship is paid an hourly rate based on undergraduate year. The range is $13.25- $15.90 per hour.
To apply, submit a complete application (provide ALL of the information requested and answer ALL of the questions) and attach a résumé and cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Apply directly on our website at: www.lsc.gov/about-lsc/careers
Questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: If reasonable accommodation in the application process is required, please notify OHR at 202-295-1571 or email@example.com.
LSC embraces diversity as a core value. We recognize that our success as a corporation depends on creating and maintaining a diverse team of talented professionals, and we are committed to a workplace that reflects and supports diverse individual backgrounds and perspectives. Our commitment to diversity, inclusion, and non-discrimination includes race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, personal appearance, genetic information, political affiliation, marital status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, source of income, status as a victim of an intrafamily offense, place of residence or business, disability and status as a veteran, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or regulation. We strive to have a workplace that is comfortable and welcoming for everyone. LSC is an equal opportunity employer.