Hours per week
15-20 hours/week for 10-12 weeks between June-August 2018
217 Water Street
The Waterfront Alliance is an alliance of more than 1,000 organizations with ties to our regional waterways. Together we are working to transform the waters of the New York and New Jersey harbor and waterfront into clean and accessible places to live, work, and play, with inviting parks, dependable jobs, and reliable, eco-friendly transportation for all. Our mission is to protect, transform, and revitalize our harbor and waterfront.
The Waterfront Edge Design Guidelines (WEDG) program began in 2015 to answer the question: how can we create the best possible waterfront? The result of a collaboration between government agencies, nonprofit organizations, technical experts, and other waterfront stakeholders, WEDG seeks to address this question through a program that serves as a communication tool, guidelines, and incentive system for landowners, community members, developers, designers, and engineers. In the same way that LEED has done for buildings, WEDG aims to shift the market toward more resilient, accessible, and ecologically-responsible waterfront design.
Over the last year, the Waterfront Alliance steered a technical revision of WEDG to adapt it from a New York program into a nationally applicable version. The new version was released in March 2018 and the WEDG program is currently implementing its national roll-out. The revision was supported by an interdisciplinary Advisory Committee and Technical Work Group comprised of individuals in the fields of design and planning, sustainability, engineering, ecology, and community development.
The Waterfront Alliance seeks an intern to support its WEDG program in summer 2018. The intern will gain strong familiarity with the technical aspects of the program, and will assist with the project review and certification process. Additionally, the intern will support other aspects of the program, including community engagement and outreach in New York City, limited research tasks, and other duties as assigned. The position offers an enriching and rewarding opportunity to work with a small and dedicated team focused on improving our shared waterways and waterfront, and to interface with the large network of individuals involved in the development and expansion of the WEDG program.
The position is planned as a part-time summer internship of approximately 15-20 hours a week for 10-12 weeks between June-August 2018 (start and end times and set schedule are somewhat flexible and will be determined in conversation with program staff). The position is located at the Waterfront Alliance’s offices at 217 Water Street in lower Manhattan, New York, with some travel within New York City expected. A modest stipend is provided at the successful completion of the internship to help defray transportation and other costs.
- Assist the WEDG Program Associate in reviewing project documents (for those seeking WEDG review and certification), including site plans, construction documents, landscape plans, permits, narratives, and other supporting materials.
- Engage with project design teams (lead project engineers, landscape architects, architects and others), and WEDG Advisory Committee experts to address and research technical questions.
- Support the WEDG Program Associate in the development of detailed guidance for reviewers, in support of the broader goal to support third-party review of WEDG projects.
- Participate in occasional community engagement activities and help improvement of communications tools for landowners, community boards, and community organizations.
- Other assignments as determined.
- Energetic and collaborative spirit, with the ability to work independently and take initiative.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in the fields of architecture, landscape architecture, engineering, planning, urban design, ecology, or related fields is required
- Familiarity with reading and reviewing construction documents, site plans, and landscape plans strongly preferred
- Familiarity with issues related to urban planning and design in coastal areas preferred
- Advanced/excellent proficiency with design software preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A high level of organization and attention to detail
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “WEDG 2018 Intern.” Applications will be accepted until May 29, 2018.