Search

Idealist logo
Internships
Internship

Nature & Environmental conservation

Posted by
Mikoko Development Foundation | Tanzania, Tanzania
Apply

Mikoko Development Foundation


New
|
Published 13 days ago

April 15, 2020
July 14, 2020
March 4, 2020
30 hours/Week

Key Responsibilities

  • Development of new biodiversity resources and training materials
  • Coordinate youth nature and environmental camps.
  • Management of a new pilot project creating community maps/environmental plans with Mikoko Development Foundation
  • Coordination of Mikoko Projects field visits.
  • Supporting school-based environmental projects including:

o  Composting,

o  Gardening, and

o  Soil Maintenance.

  • Maintaining a database of Specific project for Mikoko Development Foundation.
  • Coordinating Mikoko volunteer/community and university gatherings
  • General support of the Mikoko programs, including:

○ Drafting Quarterly Mikoko Newsletter (Mikoko Magazines);

○ Compiling Reports for Membership Database, grants, etc;

○ Assisting the Mikoko team with event planning and outreach.

  • Other duties as assigned and agreed upon with the Mikoko team. 


Qualifications

  • Possess an undergraduate or graduate university degree, or a minimum of two years’ of work experiences.
  •  Must be 19 years of age or older.
  •  Have an interest in youth leadership, education and environmental service learning.
  •  Be comfortable traveling to and working independently in remote, rural areas.
  • Be proficient in English (reading, writing and conversation) and/or in Kiswahili (reading, writing and conversation). Helpful to begin Kiswahili lessons prior to arrival.
  • Have good writing and interpersonal skills, along with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously with a high level of attention to detail.
  • Enjoy meeting and talking with members of the public/colleagues
  • Have experience organizing and leading workshops or training events.
  • Be comfortable using local transportation methods, such as dala dalas (local buses).

Key Responsibilities

  • Development of new biodiversity resources and training materials
  • Coordinate youth nature and environmental camps.
  • Management of a new pilot project creating community maps/environmental plans with Mikoko…

Details at a glance

  • Remote Possible
  • Academic Credits

Benefits

  • Volunteers are guaranteed with full services available for their own cost. The positions offered by Mikoko Development Foundation will provie full technical capabilities that will give chance to the volunteers themselves to be inspired by self motivational duties and self driven goals towards achieve specific task based on his/her career strategies.
  • Volunteers are guaranteed with full services available for their own cost. The positions offered by Mikoko Development Foundation will provie full technical capabilities…

How to Apply

Travel: Volunteers will be expected to travel to Mikoko Program field sites on a regular basis. All work-related travel expenses will be covered by the Mikoko Internship Program. Travel done outside of work will be the responsibility of the volunteer. There will be no vacation or annual leave time awarded to this position.

About Fees: A 30% nonrefundable deposit will be due six weeks prior to departure with the remaining 70% of the program fee will be due two weeks prior to departure. Covered by fee:

·        Accommodation

·        Basic Kiswahili Language Lessons (mandatory unless fluent in Kiswahili)

·        Local Travel & Communication (including simcard)

·        Airport Pick Up & Drop Off

·        Program orientation, training and materials

·        Staff coordination and support

·        Work related travel and expenses

·        Administrative fees

·        Residence permit

·        Work Visa Not covered by fee:

·         Immunizations (routine immunizations are recommended) Not covered by fee

o  If you plan travel elsewhere in Africa before/after your volunteer experience you may need proof of other immunizations.

o  If you are traveling to Tanzania from a country with a risk of Yellow Fever Virus transmission (including layovers greater than 12 hours), proof of Yellow Fever immunization is required.

Travel: Volunteers will be expected to travel to Mikoko Program field sites on a regular basis. All work-related travel expenses will be covered by the Mikoko Internship Program…

Location

Kisiwani Ubungo, Dar es salaam, Tanzania 14115, TZ

Join Idealist

Sign up today to save your favorite internships and get email alerts when new ones are posted.
Apply