Development Intern - Spring 2019
- Internship posted by Smith Center for Healing and the Arts (Healing Resources for Cancer)
Hours per week
1632 U Street, NW
Internships at Smith Center for Healing and the Arts
Internships at Smith Center for Healing at the Arts offer the opportunity to develop leadership and professional skills and gain valuable nonprofit experience, all while contributing to the mission to serve the needs of individuals affected by cancer. Interns will be placed in one of five focus areas, where they will work closely with mentors and managers as valuable members of the Smith Center team. In addition to day-to-day responsibilities, interns will have the opportunity to take part in Smith Center programming, receive formal training, and share in community-building with a cohort of peers. Smith Center for Healing and the Arts seeks individuals who are able to earn academic credit for their internship through an accredited academic institution.
The Internship Program follows the academic semester calendar:
● Spring 2019: January through May
● Summer 2019: May through August
● Fall 2019: Mid September through Mid December
Qualified interns may be invited to return for a subsequent semester at the discretion of their supervisors. Each intern may be asked to return for the orientation of the next term’s intern to train his/her successor.
The Development and Engagement Intern will assist with managing donor relationships and proposals; help in implementing organizational initiatives, including fundraising campaigns; aid with corporate and individual fundraising research and meetings; assist with constituent research and relationship tracking; and help with planning and executing fundraising events.
In addition to the specific qualifications sought by managers of individual focus areas, all internship candidates should possess the following characteristics:
● Ability to earn academic credit through an accredited educational institution
● Ability to commit to 15-25 hours/week over the course of the internship
● High level of responsibility and ability to own projects
● Ability to take initiative and work independently as well as with a team
● Demonstrated desire to grow personally and professionally
● Professional communication skills
● Excellent time management and organizational skills
● Friendly, outgoing and positive attitude
● Passion for the work, mission and values of Smith Center
● Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
● Participation in Smith Center programming
● Ongoing professional development opportunities
● Community building opportunities
How To Apply
Applications for the coming semester should be submitted by Friday, September 1st for priority consideration. To apply, please:
1. Complete the Smith Center Internship Application found here.
2. Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage all applicants to visit our website and learn more about Smith Center and the services we provide before completing their applications. Questions about the application or internship program? Email Alison Lazar, Development Manager at email@example.com.