Hours per week
2039 Shattuck Ave.
ReThink Media is a unique nonprofit organization focused on building the media and communications capacity of nonprofit think tanks, experts, and advocacy groups working toward a more constructive US foreign and national security policy, the protection of human and civil rights, and strengthening our democracy. The communities we serve include the foremost experts, leaders, and organizers in the fields of arms control and nonproliferation, conflict prevention, human and civil rights, and electoral and judicial reform.
ReThink Media’s paid Internship and Fellowship program provides talented undergraduate and graduate students (and recent students) with hands-on experience in the field of issue advocacy communications.
Are you interested in how the public thinks and how media coverage shapes public opinion? Do you want to get your hands dirty with polls and spend your time comparing sample sizes and question wording?
You will work with the Public Opinion and Media Analyst, Research and Analysis Associate, and other members of the core team and collaborative staff on monitoring public opinion polls, researching new issues or breaking stories, and providing analysis of public opinion and media coverage. Projects may include:
- Daily monitoring of publicly available opinion polls, posting relevant polls to our website, and sharing important polls with ReThink staff;
- Collecting and organizing polling data on an issue in preparation for a major report;
- Improving tagging and organization of public opinion and analysis data on our website;
- Analyzing media coverage of a discrete time period to assess a community’s efforts around a particular story or event;
- Creating charts and other data visualizations;
- Researching the major players in a breaking story, the available polling on a new issue, or the available data for a potential project.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Ease with Word and PowerPoint (or another presentation application)
- Ease with Excel and spreadsheets
- Understanding of survey construction, focus groups, or other forms of quantitative or qualitative public opinion research
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent research skills
Ideal candidates will be recent undergraduates or graduate students with research and analysis skills, an interest in advocacy work, and a commitment to one or more of the policy issues ReThink Media works on. We are looking to hire candidates in our Berkeley, CA office for our Summer 2018 program. Successful candidates may have the opportunity to extend the length of their position beyond the initial three-month term.
This fellowship will be part-time, 20-30 hours per week, for a three-month term starting in May or June. The rate of compensation is $15.75 per hour for fellows. We are also open to working with students and professors to craft projects for credit.
How To Apply
To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: Analysis Fellowship. Please include your résumé and a cover letter that provides a brief summary of your background, the reasons you feel you would be good for the position, and the issue or skill areas you are most interested in. We strongly prefer receiving application materials in PDF.