266 West 37th Street
North Tower, 9th Floor
The Center for Arts Education (centerforartsed.org), CAE, a non-profit grounded in creativity, collaboration and best practices, seeks detail-oriented, self-motivated interns. CAE offers interns an opportunity for professional learning, developing workplace skills and gaining knowledge. Successful candidates will be interested in arts education, advocacy and community engagement, business development, data collection and analysis, research and workplace administration.
CAE’s mission is to ensure that all NYC public school students receive quality arts instruction as part of their pre-K – 12 education. Since 1996, CAE has implemented sustainable arts programs in New York City public schools; provided high-quality professional development; advocated for improvements in arts education; fostered partnerships among schools and cultural organizations; opened doors for high school students exploring careers in the creative industries; and created programs to engage parents and families in their school community.
Internships are available from May through September and generally are 16 to 32 hours per week over two to five days per week (exact details to be determined). Academic credit and a $25 a day stipend are available. See below for details on department specific opportunities and how to apply.
266 West 37th Street, 9th Floor, New York, New York 10018 (near Port Authority, Penn Station and multiple subway and bus lines).
• Attend an institution of learning which issues degrees, diplomas or certificates or are a recent graduate
• MS Office/Office 365, data management and internet research skills required. Also experience with: HTML, CS 5,
experience working with a CRM platform is preferred
• Prior work or intern experience in an academic or business setting is preferred
• Excellent research, organization, written, oral, and keyboarding skills
• Ability to work independently and on a team and willingness to learn
• Proficiency in written and spoken Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, Bengali, Russian or Urdu is a plus
• Participate in team meetings
• Assist staff in development and implementation of innovative programs and projects
• Organize and record data and updates to project management documents
• Research and analyze information
• Assist staff to develop proposals, reports, or marketing materials
• Make telephone calls and issue correspondence
• Document and archive materials about programs, events and projects
Responsibilities by Department
• Gather and analyze data related to the delivery of arts education in NYC public schools
• Assist in development of research and policy briefs and position statements
• Assist in dissemination of policy statements and correspondence to elected officials, key decision-makers and
stakeholders, the media, and the general public
• Participate in coalition building efforts, outreach to key stakeholders, creation of action alerts and other advocacy
• Organize photos and video according to category and quality
• Social media management and expansion
• Familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite for light, template-based graphic design and photo editing
• Marketing and promotional copywriting for news and fundraising e-mails
• Video-editing skills are a plus!
• Conduct prospect research for new funding opportunities
• Assist with gift processing and acknowledgment
• Update records in Raisers Edge (prior experience not required)
• Proofread proposals and reports
• Assist in general development efforts
Teaching and Learning
• Support administration of T&L programming including tracking of paperwork, ordering materials, and data entry
• Assist with implementation of Teaching Artist auditions, professional development sessions, and other program
• Document and archive materials about programs, events, and projects, including student work
• Make telephone calls and issue correspondence
• Other duties to be assigned as needed
• May include evening or weekend hours
Operations and Administration
• Assist with program and budget tracking
• Assist with scheduling appointments and meetings for Executive Director
• Schedule and organize small professional meetings
• Organize Executive Office contacts management system
• Assist Operations Department with maintenance of office supplies inventory and other operational needs as
• Review and organize archival files inventory at on-site and off-site storage
How To Apply
1) Please reply to email@example.com and indicate in the subject line:
- Internship Application and the Department(s) you are interested in.
2) Please attach one .pdf file with the following:
- Cover letter indicating preferred department(s)
- Resume including at least two professional or academic references.
Applications that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only those invited to interview will be contacted. Please no telephone calls or emails. Thank you for your interest in CAE and arts education.